Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nannys with a baby

(21 Posts)
girrafey Thu 10-Mar-05 14:03:03

i am 23 and qualified and have 5 years experience of being a nanny, plus 2 great checkable refernces. I am at the moment 8 months pregnant with my first child. ( single mum on the pill) i am considering going back to being a nanny when the child is 4 months old, but worried that no one would look at me if i wish to have my child there as well. Does anyone have any experince or any mums with any views on if they would take on a nanny with a child. thanks.

secur Thu 10-Mar-05 14:13:15

Message withdrawn

uwila Thu 10-Mar-05 14:27:05

Amyjo, I agree. I already have a nanny. But if I were looking for a new one, I wouldn't have a problem with her having a child of her own. Theonly concern I might have is that my two are quite young (2 next week and new one due end of May). So I might be concerned that 3 young children was a tall order for anyone to handle. But if mine were say 5 and 7, then I wouldn't have any problem at all.

Good luck!

Blu Thu 10-Mar-05 14:53:45

I had a nanny who had a child the same age as mine - it worked out brilliantly - they were such close friends.

You need to make sure lots of detail is covered in the contract - payment for activities, provision of food, what happens when your child is ill, etc.

And we paid her about two-thirds the going rate, since her own childcare was included iyswim. (It was her who suggested the rate).

HappyMumof2 Thu 10-Mar-05 20:14:36

Message withdrawn

uwila Fri 11-Mar-05 08:36:21

Are you looking for live-in or live-out? What area of the country do you wish to live/work in?

ladymuck Fri 11-Mar-05 08:48:08

When I have been looking for a part-time nanny most of the candidates come with their own child. In general this has worked very well. As others have mentioned the rate of pay does drop a bit. You may be less likely to be employed by a first time mum with young baby (who is probably worried about how you will handle 2 children - more based on their inexperience than yours!). I've also seen nannies with babies being very employable to mums who want many after school care etc.

My own experience of having a nanny with a child has been very positive - a friendly "sibling" for ds1, and a confident mum as a nanny.

Good luck!

girrafey Fri 11-Mar-05 17:32:55

Thank you very much for your positive comments. I would want live out, though i still would be intersted in baby sitting one evening or doing the odd weekend if they wanted to go away etc. I am in cambridgshire. I guess i will just had to advertise and wait and see what happens. x

starshaker Tue 15-Mar-05 11:10:56

well im very pleased i fell onto this thread i really thought that was if for me im also 8 months pregnant. i would love to keep nannying but again i thought it would be impossible thanx this has made me feel better 2

uwila Tue 15-Mar-05 11:44:03

Amy and Star,
Can I ask you guys a question about your expectations of a job. When you go looking for work (assuming that you do go back to work), would you seek a family that had babies/toddlers or would that be too much work? Would yo look for live-in or live-out?

I just ask because I will be looking for a nanny in August. I struggle financially to fund a nanny's paycheque, but my work hours don't allow for a nursery, and a childminder is not really ideal either. I have heard that a nanny may lower her price a bit if she is bringing a child of her own. But, I have a toddler and another one due at the end of May. I don't know if someone would really want three young babies/toddler. So, I just wondered what your opinion is. Will you be looking for a family with older children to allow you a bit of one-to-one time with your own? Or would you consider 2 babies and a toddler to be a reasonable workload.

Thanks.
And good luck to both of you.

girrafey Tue 15-Mar-05 14:46:56

hi, well personally i would ideally like a family with young children, the reason for this being that i wouldnt want my child to miss out, so we could go to activities that benefit both mine and work child. Eg mums and tots etc. I would want live out just as i didnt enjoy live in without a child and couldnt imagine doing it with one to be honest. Im not sure how many hours i would want, it depends on the family and what their expectations are etc. I was looking at going back the start of sep as that is a good time as many people return to jobs then after the summer etc. Also i have only ever worked with families with multiple young children. ( hate to be biased but enjoy them more) i like the whole messy play and learning and food training etc. where abouts are you based? aj x

uwila Tue 15-Mar-05 15:09:57

Hi Amy, I'm not very close to you actually. We live in Sunbury, which is where the M3 ends just inside the M25 (greater London). I was really looking more for your opinion on the matter regarding the number of very young children. Do you think that a 3 month old, a four month old, and a toddler is too much for a nanny to be expected to do?

If you are interested, I just posted an add in childcare jobs. I am happy to discuss this with you if you think you would be interested. But, becaue you prefer a live-out position, I think you will probably be out of my price range.

girrafey Tue 15-Mar-05 15:15:01

well personally i wouldnt think that it would be too much to do. I have had a anny share before and i had a 4 month a 6 month and a 22 month plus a 6 year old on the holidays. At times yes i was abit stressed but in the whole it worked very well. maybe you could find a nanny with a slightly older child,say closer to your eldest. That would be an easier way round i would say. best of luck.

mishmash Tue 15-Mar-05 21:26:39

We are currently in a situation where our nanny has just recently married and is now pregnant. The way our situation works is that we renew her contract annually but she was aware that we would only need her for another year after this coming May. Even though she is pregnant her contract this year falls due during her pregnancy and she was afraid that we would not renew because of her situation. Anyway to cut a long story short we did not go back on our word and she will be with us until May 06. Her baby is due end Oct/beginning Nov and she will have 18 weeks maternity.

We sat and had a long chat with her when she told us about the pregnancy and again explained that we still only needed her until May 06 due to childrens ages etc... and went down the road of telling her that she might find it hard to get a job with a baby but she had already decided that she will send her baby home to the Phillipines to be cared for by her MIL as she wants to remain in the country.

She didn't mean to get herself in this situation but now she has we are here to support her as best we can but my heart goes out to her that she will be separated from her baby.

Who knows maybe our situation will change and we will decide to keep her on after 06 as she is truly a lovely person and if that should happen then I don't think I would have a problem with her having her child here as mine will be that much older and more independent.

uwila Tue 15-Mar-05 22:13:24

mishmash,
Is this the nanny who married the guy you don't really think is in her best interest? Am I confusing you with someone else? Are you inIreland?

mishmash Wed 16-Mar-05 08:39:49

The very one Uwila and as far as we can tell she is not a bit happy since she got married

mishmash Wed 16-Mar-05 08:55:18

So I was a good psychic. That thread was started in a bit of a panic - we are now in the situation I feared we would be in but now we just have to deal with it as best we can.

uwila Wed 16-Mar-05 09:09:03

Oh, quite sad. I can't imagine sending my baby to another country. Why is she doing this? Do you not want her to bring it to work with her?

I have to say, although I do not know these people (or even you), I'm inclined to agree that he does not sound like a very nice guy. How can he let his child be sent away while he sends his wife off to work. Dreadfully sad. I couldn't do that.

Sorry, it's probably none of my business (and I have just very rudely and radically hijacked this thread... sorry, Amy).

uwila Wed 16-Mar-05 09:14:24

Oh jeez, I just re-read your post. HIS mother is going to raise the child?

Is this normal in their culture? Do I just not understand how they operate? Or is this really as horrible for her as it sounds to me?

wow.... I don't know what else to say...

mishmash Wed 16-Mar-05 09:39:47

Uwila this appears v common in her culture

mishmash Wed 16-Mar-05 09:40:31

Agree that it is quite sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now