Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

South Africa

(7 Posts)
sajules Wed 29-Oct-08 12:42:00

Hi

I am a nanny who is possibly moving to South Africa (Durban)in February

I was wandering if anyone knows of any nanny websites or agencies i could register with. Ive triedgoogling it, nannyjob and gumtree. Im starting to panic now!

Also, any advice about the country would be welcome!

anyoneoutthere Wed 29-Oct-08 21:30:42

bumping up for you x

squiffy Wed 29-Oct-08 22:38:35

I lived in Joburg for 3 years. Firslty I don't think there is much of a market for nannies - people tend to use their live-in maids or get another live-in girl to be a nanny - they used to cost as little as £100-£200 a month (60 hours/week). I never met anyone who used a 'real' nanny. They do have nurseries though which is probably your best bet. this site might get you started on the classifieds.

Durban is sub-tropical so warm all year round (when it isn't humid and hot). Racial tolerance not as advanced IMO as Cape Town, JoBurg. When I left the city centre was becoming a bit of a no-go area at night which was a shame.

MY DH loved the country but I hated it. Here's an old thread on living down there which gives a few views... here

JenniPenni Thu 30-Oct-08 08:46:18

I am South African, and have lived in both Cape Town and Johannesburg.

There are still nanny positions available for people who are foreign (British/American etc.) who use them. There are LOADS of foreigners who live in SA, especially in areas like Constantia in Cape Town.

South Africans in general do not use them really. Nurseries are big there.

It is a lovely country with friendly people... something I have missed myself, having lived in London for the last 6 years. I love certain things and hate other things. As with every country though there is good and bad... and everyone has their own experiences.

I would go for Joburg (northern suburbs), or Cape Town (southern suburbs) first. Nicest climates and more wealthy areas where there would be more need for a nanny.

Besides agencies, it might be an idea to email consulates?

If you'd like to know more about the country from a local's perspective, read my travel page here: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/8b6c8/fac/

Good luck!

JenniPenni Thu 30-Oct-08 08:50:01

Just reread and see you ARE moving to Durbs... OK, well Durbs itself is not great to be honest (city centre), areas to the north and south of it are lovely... there are some wealthier areas here too, where people would be able to afford a nanny.

It might be an idea to contact game reserves (plenty of upmarket ones in the region) offering your services... they would have clients who might need childcare. This could be a short-term solution before you find a more permanent role.

sajules Thu 30-Oct-08 09:33:02

Im going to be living with my husband who is South African and we already have somewhere to live in Durban as he is given a house with his work

Any idea for nanny agencies or websites i can look/advertise on apart from gumtree?

squiffy Thu 30-Oct-08 11:00:09

if you google nanny job .co.za (the south african web moniker) you get heaps of sites

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now