Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

secondary school kid

(8 Posts)
bmz Tue 28-Oct-08 15:46:19

i've got a 11 year old child coming over at the end of the week to check us out - mum wants her to come to me 3 days a week after school - she is due to make her own way to me. but what activities/things shall i do with her. i'm only used to small kids. thanks.

leonifay Tue 28-Oct-08 15:57:00

i dont have any 11yr olds myself, but my mum does. he likes to play on the computer (obviously supervised and only educational) or watch t.v. when she was inspected ofsted were ok with this as he had been at school all day. and ocasionally his mums askes my mum to make sure homework has been started.

mumnosbest Tue 28-Oct-08 16:26:19

my niece is 11. She loves playing with my 4 yr old ds and his toys, just don't tell anyone shhhh! She also enjoys; computer, drawing/arty/crafty stuff, reading, lego. It might be an idea to let her bring things with her, e.g a book she's reading, nintendo DS (my niece loves hers) and loads of homework. Big kids love playing mum to little ones! GOOD LUCK!!!

witchandchips Tue 28-Oct-08 16:31:24

at 11 i think the thing is to treat her as much like a grown up as possible.

fizzbuzz Tue 28-Oct-08 16:33:56

I think they like Arty Crafty stuff.

I teach Art and DT, and lunchtime/afterschool clubs are always packed with Y7 girls

roisin Tue 28-Oct-08 16:37:04

Ask her what she wants. Some 11 yr-olds just want a quiet space to chill and sit and text their mates, others would want to get on with homework, use the PC, watch TV, chatter on incessantly to you, or maybe play/help with the little ones...

tulip31 Tue 28-Oct-08 16:39:02

When I minded an 11 year he did his homework and then watched the tv or played with the younger ones.

My 1 year comes home, does his homework and then either watches tv in his room, plays the wii/computer with the others, arts and crafts or just mucks in and pretends hes a little adult with the little ones (most of them in my house are my own!!).

Just see what the adult and the girl want to do, be lead a little through them. This way you are seen to be working with the parent!

bmz Tue 28-Oct-08 19:27:26

many thanks for your replies. very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now