Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What would you pay a 13 year old school kid...

(12 Posts)
Flum Tue 28-Oct-08 14:32:47

per hour to come over from 5 til 7 to:

Empty dishwasher, play with kids, help tidy their playroom and bedroom, help with bathtime and stories.

I pay her £4 an hour to babysit should I give her more for this work......

Twims Tue 28-Oct-08 14:35:24

Sounds good but only if I was around to supervise etc.

asdmumandteacher Tue 28-Oct-08 14:36:08

13 is too young to babysit outside the family i think

AtheneNoctua Tue 28-Oct-08 14:36:50

I'd keep the pay the same.

Flum Tue 28-Oct-08 14:42:23

Ok good I have offered her the same. She is our next door neighbours daughter and only babysits when her Mum is home and if I am going out locally and back before 10! Her bed time!

i trust her very well she is very capable and girls are inlove with her.

Flum Tue 28-Oct-08 14:43:06

I will be there all the time from 5 til 7 it is just to help out as we will have a new baby anyday now.

lindseyfox Tue 28-Oct-08 19:20:25

sounds like a nice little job for her and will give her some good experience.

I run babysitting course for girls aged 13-16yrs in my current job and we suggest an hrly rate of £2.50 an hr upto £5 an hr depending on age, exp and any additional quals they have such as first aid as thats not part of our course (we just do minor injuries).

so £4 an hr is plenty and very generous.

good luck with the new addition when he/she arrives.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 29-Oct-08 17:43:14

£4 sounds very generous pay for a 13yr

great that she helps you out and that you are THERE

5-7 (te,bath and bed) are the most stressful times for a mum and esp if you are heavily pregnant, so great that you get some help

I personally think 13 is too young to babysit alone, but thats just me - we have had this discussion many times, and I am in the majority

Flum Wed 29-Oct-08 22:51:06

Ok thankyou. She is happy to do it. I checked minimum wage and it is £3 something so I am happy with it.

TheOtherMaryPumpkins Thu 30-Oct-08 15:00:50

13? shock

RachieB Sat 01-Nov-08 14:31:06

wow and i thought i started babysitting early @ 14

if she is capable though, and mature,and you are there then go for it £4 is a fab wage for 13!

good luck with new arrival

xx

Sazisi Sat 01-Nov-08 14:35:03

I started babysitting when I was 12; it depends on the individual, if you've grown up helping with younger siblings etc then you're perfectly capable.
I think I'd pay a little more for the extra work, £5?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now