Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Mat leave and CM question

(5 Posts)
Greatfun Tue 28-Oct-08 10:49:33

I have always used nurseries so please excuse if this is a stupid question. For various reasons I am thinking of swapping to a CM. However, a friend told me that I would ahve to pay the CM maternity leave if she got pregnant. Is this right? I assumed not as I am not employing her but am paying her for childcare services but am not sure. Thanks/.

LucyTownsend Tue 28-Oct-08 11:08:21

No, you wouldnt have to pay her maternity pay! She will probably have a notice period e.g 4 weeks to let you know when she will stop minding, but her maternity pay is usually done by the goverment as for all other self-employed people!

You dont employ her - she is a business. If you were to get a nanny then it would be different.

Where abouts are you?

happyfaceschildcare Tue 28-Oct-08 18:00:12

Some childminders choose not to take maternity leave and just take a holiday so that would depend what's in your contract regarding holiday pay, but no you don't pay maternity pay as we are self employed we can get a maternity allowance from the government, from personal experience I know I wouldn't want to loose the children I am minding (to attached to them) so would work round it.
Good luck

dempsie Tue 28-Oct-08 22:28:34

hi greatfun- i am a registered childminder with spaces and definatley not getting pregnant!!!! although the other minders are right, you wouldn't pay. what area are you lokking for childcare in?

mumnosbest Wed 29-Oct-08 15:39:55

Check out the thread for 'childminders with no mindees'. One of us might be in your area

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now