Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

SIGH! I am trying to type up my observtions into some sort of "Report"

(10 Posts)
geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 27-Oct-08 15:51:13

We clearly, now Im on Mumsnet as I got fed up, but anyway...
I have a load of little observations, and want to put them into a folder for midee, with a few photos, so his mum can take it home and see what he's been up to....and obviously trying to show that Im doing the eyfs stuff.
Im thinking of dividing it up into the five areas of learning in the Learning and Development section and trying to fit each observation into appropriate area, and then at the end, put some type of summing up statement outlining "next steps".

Feeling utterly clueless and fed up with it already to be honest, does anyone think the above idea sounds ok??
Does anyone even think the above idea makes any sort of vague sense?!
TIA grin

leonifay Mon 27-Oct-08 16:13:07

i think it sounds really good. i do something similar, but i dont split it up in to sections.
i have a bookwhere i put all photos and stuff then randomly i'll have some observations and 'the next step' and after i have more photos and artwork etc.

autumnwardrobeonthecheap Mon 27-Oct-08 16:22:43

I use this feel free to steal if it's suitable!

ShosheTheGhoshe Mon 27-Oct-08 16:40:22

I just write them all up in a A$ book, adding photos and such as we go along.

Will tell you next week if Ofsted like it....... I am having my Inspection.

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 27-Oct-08 19:48:07

thanks everyone, it's so difficult to know what to do, it does seem a bit like feeling your way in the dark, does anyone else think? Thanks so much for the form, autumnwardrobe, thats very generous! I would love to hear what they think of the book, shoshe, GOOD LUCK wiht your inspection!

pinky51 Tue 28-Oct-08 08:53:36

I use a ring binder, I make observations on post its, and try to write in the pages each week what we have been up to, also put in lots of pictures of the little darlings, and any paintings or drawings they have done, I do a quarterly summary sheet which is divided into the six areas of learning, so I can tick off activities against these, it is quite easy to do as we do stuff without realising it meets needs, I also do a next steps summary at this time and ask for parents feedback and comments going forward, Ofsted liked it. I am always on the look out for easy ways to do obs and next steps and this is easy for me and it works, but I am open to new ideas if anyone has any to make our working day easier.

countPINKCHICKula Tue 28-Oct-08 10:20:33

i have a binder for each month (just the plastic type were the plastic clasp holds pics/paper in place, not huge thingsmile which i add monthly comments and obs of the children..as wella s pics, but i have every child in one binder...is this ok??..not against data protection or anything?hmm..easier that way so if needed i can locate october and they can see all obs and pics instead of going through a binder for every child???

geraldinetheluckygoat Tue 28-Oct-08 15:14:01

I think thats ok, pinkchick, but if it goes home with parents it needs to be seperate, I would think. Ofsted might like to suggest you do seperate ones, but if it is just you that sees it, I would keep it as it is if that works for you! Although, they like the parents to see it, if you print it from your pc, do/could you do a separate copy for parents. I am planning to do a copy for parents to keep at home, I will give them pages to add every so often.

Ok, so I need to actually DO this now istead of mnetting!

countPINKCHICKula Wed 29-Oct-08 08:35:35

hmm, well i guess instead of doing 12 folders for 12 months, it WOULD be easier to do 7 folders for each mindee!!??..makes sense really..D'oh! smile..but yeah i do diaries for the LO and put my obs in there too, but your right ofsted prob would want it separate..will do that instead..thankssmile

geraldinetheluckygoat Thu 30-Oct-08 14:20:11

Oh that's ok, it's a nightmare figuring out how were s'posed to do it, I wish they would just TELL us and provide paperwork, then it wouldn't be such guess work! God knows really what the best way is! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now