Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Paying Nannies whilst sick

(128 Posts)
lisalisa Wed 09-Mar-05 15:21:27

Message withdrawn

MaryP0p1 Wed 09-Mar-05 15:37:43

So are you saying that because of the job she does she doesn't deserve to get paid sick leave? How would you feel if the situation was reversed?

FooFoo Wed 09-Mar-05 15:48:46

Why don't you just pay her statutory sick pay whic is somewhere in the region of £30-£40 per week? (not sure of the exact amount) thats all a lot of us get anyway. You also don't have to pay anything for the 1st few days (think its 3) that someone is off sick.

MaryP0p1 Wed 09-Mar-05 15:56:03

Did you not discuss this with her at her initial interview? I have worked as a childminder, nanny and now work in nurseries. I have always discussed prior to taking up a post what would happen if I was sick, my children were sick/off school and if parents didn't want my service because of sickness/holidays etc. If its agreed before employment/contract begins everyone happy and everyone knows where they stand.

I don't think its about corporate virus private family employment its about being fair and if you have discussed and agreed it early in the relationship there's no confusion/upset but to turn around now and say I'm not paying you sick leave may cause bad feeling between you all.

elliott Wed 09-Mar-05 15:57:32

Sorry to be annoying but there's definitely a recent-ish thread on this. Don't know much about it myself but trying to avoid posting on the other threads(!). My understanding from the other thread was that basically you can choose what you put in the contract, but don't have to give anything more than statutory sick pay which stops fairly quickly. May be completely wrong of course

CountessDracula Wed 09-Mar-05 16:05:31

yes there is Lisalisa and you posted on it!

Here it is

You are an employer and as such have responsibilities.

catgirl Wed 09-Mar-05 16:07:32

no idea on the pay situation, but could you/your dh/p take some time off work to cover? (calling in sick for yourselves rather than your children if necessary)?

Blu Wed 09-Mar-05 16:18:43

You can claim the sick pay back from the IR, can't you? SOME allevaition!

I do sympathise with the painful financial impatc, LilsaLisa, but stand by my reply to your post on the old thread - a nanny can't afford to 'swallow' the lack of pay on her (presumably lower) salary any more than you can!

I agree with Catgirl - you and DH take some time off sick yourself- your employer can presumably swallow having an employee less for a day or two? (I don't mean that bitchily - I'm agreeing with you in the corporate scale of things...)

ssd Wed 09-Mar-05 17:13:30

lisalisa, forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the MN'er who has a nanny and an au pair? If you are can't the au pair stand in?

uwila Fri 11-Mar-05 16:08:47

Hi Lisalisa,
I agree with the sentiments in your original post. And, as other have already said, you are legally bound to do whatever your contract says. If it is not mentioned in your contract, then you must give SSP, which kick in either on or after the third. I definitely agree with your point that it is unfair that working parents are expect to perform as profitable companies. However, the law is the law, so the strict answer to your question is 1- contractual obligation and following that 2- SSP.

I take people's points that it is rather hard on the nanny to have to go without pay... but it can be just as hard or even harder on the employer. It is not always true to say the employer has more money than the nanny. £700 is a lot of money to some of us.

ssd Fri 11-Mar-05 18:02:17

As a childminder, I don't charge if I'm sick as the parents may have to pay for alternate care.

It's a hard one, as the parents maybe pushed to the limit paying a salary once and find sick pay impossible to pay, also a nanny will be relying on her wages to pay her bills and probably feels really bad she's let her employer down.

When I worked as a nanny in central London, I never took a sick day - just lucky I guess.To be honest I worked for families who earned big bucks and I'd have felt badly treated if I wasn't paid sick pay.Thank God the issue didn't need addressing as I'm sure some families would have grudged me the pay and I know that would have put me off the job......In my experience the people who earn mega bucks are the tightest and make you account for every 20p spent, even if it's all spent on their kids...

lisalisa Mon 14-Mar-05 11:26:45

Message withdrawn

ssd Mon 14-Mar-05 11:41:31

lisalisa, this isn't a racist question, I'm just wondering as I used to be a nanny myself.

I was a nanny about 17 years ago, so I'm out of date. Are there lots of European nannies now, when I did it they were all British/Australian.

I'm just asking as I noticed your nannies were from Hungary and Romania?

Toothache Mon 14-Mar-05 11:45:39

When I was working as a Contractor I was not entitled to sick pay. I was paid for the hours I was present at work. Thats how contracting works.... so could a Nanny be classed as a contractor? I was working through an Agency at an Engineering Firm.

lisalisa Mon 14-Mar-05 11:47:54

Message withdrawn

Blu Mon 14-Mar-05 11:58:04

REALLY sympathise over the 'disappearing nannies' LisaLisa. But I still think it's a different issue from legitimate sick pay..

Toothache and ssd - childminders are self-employed, so presumably build cost of any contingency for sick pay and hols into the fees - like any other freelance / contract worker, AND the gvt closed a loophole last year that enabled nannies to work as a 'company' on a freelance or self-employed person.

Toothache Mon 14-Mar-05 12:17:28

BLu - Does that mean they are or they are not independant?? Sorry.... I'm a bit dim today.

When I saw this thread I must admit I was immediately agnry about someone who can afford a Nanny trying to avoid paying the poor girl sick pay..... but then I thought "Hang on a minute!!" I didn't get any sick pay as a Contractor.... or holiday pay. It was awful. I'd be at work no matter how crap I felt. Even when I was heavily pregnant with Ds I would still drag myself in to work when I was in agony with UTI's. Doesn't create a healthy or productive working environement though.

So whilst I feel that everyone should be entitled to sick pay.... it's just a fact that if she is freelance, or even working through an Agency as a Contractor then the Client doesn't have to pay sick pay. The Agency might though.

uwila Mon 14-Mar-05 13:14:35

Oh no, Lisalisa. You have to replace her again. I've just come to the conclusion that I have to replace my nanny. But, I've got nothing to complain about compared to your luck. Where do youplan to look for new nanny. I'm venturing back on over to greataupair.com.

uwila Mon 14-Mar-05 13:17:45

Btw, Toothache, it is illegal to hire a nanny as anything but your employer. However, can I just emphasise the point that not everyone who finds nannies to be the only suitable childcare actually has much money -- certainly not after paying taxes! Some people hire nanies because it is the only kind of childcare that will cater to their work schedule(s).

Sorry to say, my nanny does not have anything beyond SSP on offer -- sinply because I could not possibly afford it.

ssd Mon 14-Mar-05 13:32:13

Blu, I know what you mean about childminders - I am one!

But TBH I don't factor in my not getting sick pay or holiday pay into my hourly rate (£2.75), I just take it as part of my job

Toothache Mon 14-Mar-05 14:33:14

Uwila - It's illegal to hire a Nanny who is freelance??? Does only apply to Nannies?

lisalisa Mon 14-Mar-05 14:40:46

Message withdrawn

uwila Mon 14-Mar-05 15:42:02

Lisalisa,
In the short term, could you scrounge up a childminder in the are where au pair could take the little one when she has to go to class? IF you find one with a vacancy, they would probably be happy to atake on a bit of extra cash. And, you won't have to mess with the taxes. temporary employee, and so on. Miche be worth a look on childcarelink.gov.uk (not sure about the web address but a search on "child care link" should find it)

Good luck!

lisalisa Mon 14-Mar-05 16:06:47

Message withdrawn

ragtaggle Mon 14-Mar-05 17:26:55

I just wanted to add my twopenneth worth on this discussion as I started the last thread on this. I get a bit fed up with the assumption that those of us that employ nannies earn loads of money! Some of us are freelancers who have to employ a nanny to fit in with the hours we work (How many nurseries keep children until seven?) My dh and I don't leave the house until half nine in the morning so my nanny comes late to fit in with those hours.

Also, in the freelance world, none of us get sick pay - it's unheard of. So whoever said 'how would you feel' well the answer is that many of us know exactly how it feels not to get sick pay. (|Although I think these things have to be agreed in advance) Also, the legislation on employing nannies is completely unfair. We have to pay tax on our own income and then our nannies tax too. My nanny and I have now agreed to a set amount of sick days a year. The problem - and it's a real one - is that you do have to pay someone else if your nanny is sick. And I agree with lisali that seven hundred pounds is a lot of money. We, like many people, just afford our nanny and paying double wages isn't an option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now