Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Want to find a Childminder/Babysitter for my Special Needs Daughter

(9 Posts)
Keane Wed 09-Mar-05 14:49:39

Seems I'm not alone

Do we have to find a "special" childminder?
and where do we find that "special" one from?

Please help, we all want to go out

piffle Wed 09-Mar-05 14:53:43

where are you keane?
local nct often do babysitting circles if you know the mums they often know your children well enough, but it depends I guess...

Keane Wed 09-Mar-05 14:55:42

I am South East Kent, but it was quite a few of us on the SN board who have no babysitters at all.

My daughter has complex needs and is still in nappies and is a horrid sleeper

I also have a ds who is 3

tamula Wed 09-Mar-05 14:56:38

maybe snap can help: snapchildcare.co.uk or .com dont remember

Keane Wed 09-Mar-05 14:56:48

oh she is 5! forgot that

geekgrrl Wed 09-Mar-05 15:05:49

fio apparently your local authority, social services or whoever is in charge of registered childminders, should have a list and be able to tell you who has had children with SN in the past. Also, have you asked at school? The two people I know who use childminders have both found them at their child's special school (both p/t TAs I think)
PS I will send you that DVD I promise

Keane Wed 09-Mar-05 15:42:47

thanks geekgrrl

I never thought to ask her school.
I have socila services coming round next week so hopefully they will enlighten me a bit

KatieMac Wed 09-Mar-05 19:56:22

Also discuss the situation with childminders (who have vacancies) 'cos lots of us have skills from previous children.....I have had 3 or 4 with ADHD type problems and 1 with mildly autistic tendancies

Some childminders will not be able to cope - but some will enjoy rising to the challenge - (I mean that positively)

Keane Thu 10-Mar-05 08:01:58

thanks katiemac

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now