Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Tryiong to work out childcare cost for if i go to uni next year.

(10 Posts)
thesockmonsterofdoom Fri 24-Oct-08 11:39:10

I worked it out based on 3.50 per hour, including dd's nursery place and dd1 at school and it comes out at 12,000. that cant be right, do childminders charge less for 2 children etc? cause there is no way ont his earth I can afford 12000.

PavlovtheWitchesCat Fri 24-Oct-08 11:40:43

Would you need it full time? Is there a creche at the university you are thinking of going to? If so, check that out as they offer better rates/hours to suit study rather than set days/times.

thesockmonsterofdoom Fri 24-Oct-08 11:44:59

would have to get childcare to cover dh's working hours as I would be doing shifts and all sorts so wouldnt need it all the time, most of study is hospital based so creche wouldnt be much use. That is just madness.
I worked it out at 3.50 but I bet it would be more than that. shock sad will have to try and work out what if anything I could claim back.

stardazzle Fri 24-Oct-08 11:46:28

i think there maybe grants available to help cover child care costs for students.

AbbaFan Fri 24-Oct-08 12:27:42

Would you be able to claim any childcare costs through your children tax credit?

mankymummy Fri 24-Oct-08 12:29:44

ring student support at the Uni... they will probably be able to help you with costs. Im getting my DS's nursery paid for whilst im at college, and the cost is totalling more than £4000./

Indith Fri 24-Oct-08 12:29:49

Check with your LEA, they can cover up to 85% of costs (CTC is up to 75%).

thesockmonsterofdoom Fri 24-Oct-08 12:37:44

dont think you can claim through ctc, can claim a bursary which could be u pt o 80%, is means tested but there is no way to know what it would would until you claim it and no way to claim it until you are accepted on the courase IYSWIM. I can only hope that because we are classed as a low income family we would get the maxmum. I dont actually want to make money as such but I cant afford to pay out any money either iyswim. I think I will just have to apply and see how it goes,
I dont think I would even need a childminder for all that time but would need a very flexible childminddre. Thinking the whole thing through to much and it is stressing me out.

leonifay Sat 25-Oct-08 10:18:11

childminders tend to be much more flexible, and some do offer a discount for second kids. but if you speak to to taxcredit people or your uni i'm sure you'll find help. btw childminders are closer to the 3.50 mark than nurserys are, but it really depends where you live. for example in dudly childminders charge less than 3.50 but in north somerset you'd be looking at around 4.50 mark. hope that helps

looneytune Sat 25-Oct-08 14:52:50

The Childcarelink websie here will give you costs for your area

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: