Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How do agencies work? Are there fees? going to use one to find a nanny.....

(12 Posts)
energyboost Thu 23-Oct-08 18:22:41

Hi was just looking for some information really....
What benefits would a family get using an agency?
What sort of costs/fees would I expect to pay?
Do most have registration fees or just placement fees if so what are these likely to be?
Do my payments stop to the agency once they have placed someone with me or is there some sort of monthly charge?
Any other helpful info welcome...
Thank you

nannynick Thu 23-Oct-08 19:13:04

Fees tend to be due once you have decided to accept a candidate that the agency has put forward for the job. Read the agency terms and conditions carefully, so you know at what stage fees are due and how much they are. Cost wise they can be fixed cost, or variable.
Imperial Nannies charges 16% of Net salary plus VAT, as fee for a permanent nanny (nanny wanted for 6 months or longer). Imperial Nannies was the first agency I found doing a very quick Google search who had their terms and conditions on their website... it's not a recommendation, just some terms & conditions for which I could provide a link.

callaird Thu 23-Oct-08 19:14:12

Usually agencies require a one off payment when they place a nanny with you, around a months salary (the nanny's salary, not yours!) Do check though, some ask for other types of payment and if you go for a few agencies always, always keep all the paperwork from them seperate and mark C.V.'s with the date recieved, if you are sent details of the same girl (or guy) from different agencies and take her on, the agencies may argue over who sent her first and who should recieve the payment, also if you find someone on your own (through wrod of mouth/advertising) and she is with any agencies you are registered with, they may want payment!

The agency should check everything for you, CRB, references, quailifications etc but be warned, some don't bother, you may have to do this yourself.

I am a nanny, have been placed in this position (and others!) and the agency I got the job through didn't call any of my referees, my boss had to do it in the end. I am in contact with all my previous employers (going back 23 years) and I know that none of them were contacted via phone or post.

I do think that if you have time, try to find someone yourself first, either place an advert in local paper, on nannyjob, gumtree, mumsnet!, netmum's, there are others and I am sure others will come along with more ideas. Maybe ask at your children's school/doctor's surgery/toddler group/music or gym group, if you could put up a poster or if anyone knows of a nanny looking for a new position. If all else fails, then go to an agency.

Good luck, I have been doing this job for 23 years and I do not know how a mum chooses the right person to look after their precious children! I mean it must be the most difficult job it is to choose someone.

jura Thu 23-Oct-08 21:33:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

energyboost Fri 24-Oct-08 11:07:58

Thanks for that helpful information.
Dont suppose anyone would have an idea of these placement fees? (the rough cost) all the agency website ive looked at ask me to register before they send me the details but dont really want to do that yet
Thanks

AtheneNoctua Fri 24-Oct-08 11:28:28

Mind if I ask why you are using an agency? If a couple grand isn't pocket change to you, I would think you could hire a nanny without an agency. You will get far better advice here on Mumsnet and we won't charge you a penny. (but you can buy us a drink if we see you at a meet-up)

And, if a couple grand is pocket change to you, then I'm sure I could find you a nice nanny for a "reasonable" fee. wink

jura Fri 24-Oct-08 11:28:51

jura Fri 24-Oct-08 11:31:25

jura Fri 24-Oct-08 11:32:46

AtheneNoctua Fri 24-Oct-08 11:37:11

I also think it depends whether you are looking for full time live in, as full time live in is much easier to hire yourself, especially from abroad.

The thing is Jura walks round with a couple grand in her pocket and just spends it willy nilly so she uses agencies. Strange behaviour for an accountant.

AtheneNoctua Fri 24-Oct-08 11:37:54

oi, Jura, you owe me an e-mail....

jura Fri 24-Oct-08 13:21:57

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now