Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Will I be pissing OFSTED (or anybody else for that matter) off if...

(6 Posts)
Karmachameleon Thu 23-Oct-08 11:32:58

I agree to see a prospective mindee next week to start in January 2009 even if I'm not registered yet (just waiting on CRB checks which should come through any day now)??

hazzajo Thu 23-Oct-08 11:58:23

Well I gently spread the word I was going to start childminding during the registration process, it is a business after all and wanted potential clients. A friend of a friend said she would be interested and came over a couple of times for playdates, coffee and chat etc to get to know each other a bit. they were juggling childcare between her and her partner at that point and luckily she was happy to wait until my reg came through. As soon as my reg came through we did contracts and she started the following week. I really don't think there is anything wrong with doing what I did.

leonifay Thu 23-Oct-08 14:58:57

i wish i had thought of that, i've been waiting over 3 months now for my reg. hopefully this week!!

JenniPenni Sat 25-Oct-08 00:39:21

Yes! I saw a mum and her kids and was open about my registering status, she said she'd wait (waited nigh on 3 months!)... and so I started minding immediately when I got my registration certificate.

ayla99 Mon 27-Oct-08 16:13:07

There's nothing wrong in meeting parents and discussing arrangements but make sure the parents understand you cannot agree a start date or sign a contract until you receive your certificate. The nature of this is that you won't know when you can start til the certificate arrives through your letterbox.

Where it can go wrong is if the parents assume you will definitely have your certificate by a particular date and it doesn't arrive in time. I was under pressure from a parent to start before I got my certificate but I didn't give in and she did keep waiting, fortunately.

If it suited you and the family, you could start providing care in the child's home if you want to start building relationships with the family (and earning!) while you wait for your certificate. If that doesn't suit you, hazzajo's approach of lots of playdates/coffee mornings is a good way to start out.

Karmachameleon Wed 29-Oct-08 15:37:38

Any luck with your reg LEONIFAY? I'm still waiting for mine too!

Thanks for advice everyone, seeing potential mindee of Friday

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now