Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Has anyone done their SEF?

(24 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 23-Oct-08 09:00:44

I am stuck

I don't know what to write

Arfa Thu 23-Oct-08 09:36:25

So are we. The whole thing looks like it has been designed for a school to answer and then given to everyone else from nurseries through to CMs.

KatyMac Thu 23-Oct-08 09:40:19

At least I found my number now (I'd lost it put it in a safe place)

looneytune Thu 23-Oct-08 09:44:06

Sorry to sound thick but what is SEF? Is this something I should be doing? I'm a little behind and trying to sort through all my Ofsted bits I've received plus finish reading the pack. I'm just having a nightmare getting anything done in the evening as I'm totally whacked by the end of the day plus ds2 has started waking up again

KatyMac Thu 23-Oct-08 09:46:05

Self evaluation form

It's on-line but you can do it as paper

looneytune Thu 23-Oct-08 09:46:51

Is this the thing we used to have to do prior to inspection?

KatyMac Thu 23-Oct-08 09:49:59

Yes but you should be doing it now - it is very long

looneytune Thu 23-Oct-08 09:56:30

Ok so it's something that everyone has to do now by a deadline? Or something that needs filling in ready for when they come to inspect? Sorry, I remember seeing some booklet thing come through but nothing about when it had to be completed - gosh, I really need to get on top of all this but I just can't seem to do it right now.

KatyMac Thu 23-Oct-08 10:06:40

You should have it doe by about 2 weeks before your inspection

However I'm not due until Feb & I reckon it might take me that long

It isn't complicated - but I want it just right

What I don't know yet is will the inspector see your early drafts or will they just see your final document

It affects how I fill it in

looneytune Thu 23-Oct-08 10:09:20

Right, best get looking as I'm due around December!! I'm not sure what you mean about drafts but I'm now curious enough to look at it all later.

KatyMac Thu 23-Oct-08 10:18:27

Well you can enter it on-line & save it

But yu have to complete each box to save it

So can you do 1 box & write TBC in all the others or should you wait until you have it all perfect & just put it in once

smeeinit Thu 23-Oct-08 10:20:15

ive had a look for this on ofsted website but cant find one for childminders?????

SammyK Thu 23-Oct-08 10:38:42

groan

I need to do this too! My insection long overdue and really need to get my arse in gear.

hazzajo Thu 23-Oct-08 10:57:53

I have started mine but so far have written a load of waffle, really not sure what I should be writing exactly. What if I get my inspection before i've finished it?? I have only been minding a few months and have been told to expect my first inspection in the next couple of months. What will happen if I don't do it, the SEF that is?

Arfa Thu 23-Oct-08 11:06:58

You don't have to fill in every box before you save the on-line version. You can save it at any point and then come back to it later.

KatyMac Thu 23-Oct-08 14:41:52

Aha - maybe it only needs to be filled in if we need to submit it

smeeinit Thu 23-Oct-08 17:15:38

so which one is it we have to fill in??
can anyone link for me please? smile

KatyMac Thu 23-Oct-08 17:23:01

here i think?

ThePrisoner Thu 23-Oct-08 19:02:39

I finally got around to looking at yet another pile of ridiculous paperwork this amazing document which will enhance my working practice no end.

I printed a copy and have shown it to some of my minding parents. They are immeasurably impressed with it (not). I obviously have nothing better to do than write what appears to be my very own Ofsted inspection.

I have a real issue with some of the questions. The very first one, for example, starts "Please describe the main characteristics of your setting and the backgrounds of the children who attend ... "

... backgrounds of the children who attend ??? Why on earth is this something I should be telling Ofsted? My minding parents have said that they are happy for me to write, "common as muck, completely dysfunctional." I am wondering if I should.

SammyK Fri 24-Oct-08 07:58:19

I haven't looked at the SEF yet, but how you describe it TP is as I expected.

RE: The backgrounds of the children who attend. Have you ever read a primary school ofsted report? That is described in there.

So are we basically making inspectors lives easier with this form? Is this also compulsory??

Aargh!

tulip31 Fri 24-Oct-08 08:28:46

Sammy, as far as I am aware if you fill in and submit the SEF before your inspection then it should last about 90 minutes, without having done one your inspection can last for about 4.5 hours.

So rereading this then yes we are making their lives easier (and in away ours as then the dc don't get so hyper cos they can read how stressy we are!!!)

SammyK Fri 24-Oct-08 09:24:31

Ah I see.

Hmm, well no one in their right mind would wantan inspection that long! Sigh, suppose I will add SEF to my ever increasing list of things I need to do but have no time for! hmm

NumberFour Fri 24-Oct-08 10:03:03

I have heard that completing a SEF can take between 4 and 7 hours. It really is a case of giving them the language and the wording that they want to hear, imo.

b*gger.

no, i have not started yet. still need to complete my 07/08 tax return.

KatyMac Fri 24-Oct-08 12:52:43

It took me 3 hrs plus to read thrugh it & write notes hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now