Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice needed please

(13 Posts)
Pinkranger Wed 22-Oct-08 13:21:33

I am taking my ds2 (14months) to doctors today at 3pm as i think he may have Hand, foot and Mouth, He seems a little under the weather but over all not to bad, no the question i have is do i HAVE to close? i have 2 after schoolies and a 2 year old all day today, tomorrow and Friday? -Never had any illness so a bit unsure?
TIA

bambi06 Wed 22-Oct-08 13:24:27

yes its contagious..im afraid although it doesnt bother the kids..they dont feel unwell!

NumberFour Wed 22-Oct-08 13:24:28

I think for something like this, if you are prepared to carry on working, then leave it up to the parents to decide.

My LO and a mindee had it at the same time so I carried on working, but another LO was off abroad that weekend so his mother chose not to send him in (and I did not charge for that day).

I would definitely close if me or family member had gastro, though.

looneytune Wed 22-Oct-08 13:25:17

The Health Authority list says do NOT need to exclude But, make sure you check your own policies first because if they say you will close for this, then you need to.

If you stay open and a parent has a problem, let us know and we can refer you to the proper guidelines which you can pass on

NumberFour Wed 22-Oct-08 13:26:23

oh! i thought that someone else may come along with something different, oops. blush
Yes, it is contagious, bambi06 is right.

Wonder if you could still leave it up to the parents?? Not sure.

looneytune Wed 22-Oct-08 13:26:40

Others have posted before me but I'm interested in what bambi06 said.....does something somewhere show this? The Health Authority guidelines are given exactly for this reason and they say don't need to exclude. I had a mindee once with this but kept him as was advised by their Dr that no need to exclude

looneytune Wed 22-Oct-08 13:28:42

Number4 - interesting isn't it I always let parents decide and in my policies it says if they choose not to send in cases where I'm allowed to be open, it's half pay. Anyway, it's a bit like the Health Authority list saying no need to exclude for conjunctivitis and Drs say it's not contagious but it SOOOO IS isn't it!!!

So the answer is.....I haven't got a clue, do what you think is right

Pinkranger Wed 22-Oct-08 13:35:53

All confusing i know! Thank you very much ladies, i am going to let the parents know ( when confirmed) and theycan make there choice. ust wasnt sure if i HAD to IYSWIMsmile

looneytune Wed 22-Oct-08 13:53:55

I'd also ask the Dr what their thoughts are so you can say 'the Dr said.....'. Good luck

Pinkranger Wed 22-Oct-08 14:01:29

Good Idea loony tune!

Melinda76 Wed 22-Oct-08 15:53:56

My little one I look after also has hand, foot and mouth - doctor recommended keeping him away from other children until the spots have gone as very contagious.

Pinkranger Wed 22-Oct-08 16:28:09

back from doctors and confirmed, she said highly infectious and try to keep away from other children! Also rechecked my policy and it says that i will NOT take a child who is contagious so looks like i will;l have a copule of days off!!! <<wanders off and wonders what i will dohmm>>

looneytune Wed 22-Oct-08 19:20:44

Well then.....why on earth do the bloomin Health Authority say no need to exclude!!! angry. I agree it sounds like you definitely need to close but I just wish our lists stated that!

Enjoy your days off and hope ds is ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now