Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Quick brainstorm: Christmas / birthday presents for aupairs and nannies

(8 Posts)
CoffeeAndCarrotCake Tue 21-Oct-08 15:48:14

I know I'm probably jumping the gun a bit, but has anyone thought about Christmas presents for their au pair (or indeed nanny)? I'm not sure whether I'd be expected to pitch it at a nice box of chocolates, or a nice new car - or hopefully somewhere in the middle!! Any thoughts?

(Last time I asked about au pairs I just about had to go to therapy to recover from all the responses - so I've controversy-checked this post and I think it's clean....)

flowerybeanbag Tue 21-Oct-08 19:10:35

We are planning to give our nanny a nice bonus as we know she's in severe belt-tightening mode at the moment. I'm hoping that means I don't have to panic about a present as well, although I might get her something v small from DS.

Simply Tue 21-Oct-08 23:05:52

I had to laugh at your OP, sorry! A box of choccies or a nice new car. smile And the therapy comment! smile MN can be like that, can't it?

Our last ap was with us for 7 mths. It was her b/d shortly after she went home. She didn't have spare weight in her bag for a gift so I gave her a card with x (can't remember the amount now but it may have been 20) Euros in for her to buy the item she wanted once back home. (We'd also paid for her flight home as a thank you.) I'd say that £20 to £30 is probably about right. I used to have a live-in job when I was the age my ap is and I'm sure I just got a birthday card from my employer and I certainly wouldn't have expected a gift. I worked, I got paid at the end of the week. None of this being nice and kind stuff that I do for my aps! grin

It is the thought that counts and doing little things for them that really help them out (like me picking ap up from the bus stop in our nearest town which is 20 mins walk away as our more local buses don't run that time of night) is much appreciated and, I'm sure, worth more to her than an expensive gift given once or twice during her stay.

NannyNanny Tue 21-Oct-08 23:37:55

As an au-pair, the family give me in the region of £50 and some chocolates for christmas. I also buy the parents and 4 DC's a present.

MarmadukeScarletbloodstains Tue 21-Oct-08 23:40:30

Usually a Tiffany's bracelet (thank goodness for Amex points!)

CoffeeandCarrotcake, I remember it well!

NewTeacher Wed 22-Oct-08 09:10:49

A Tiffany's bracelet are you for real?????

I think a token pressie, vouchers £20 is good lets them get what they want.

A new car hmm can I come work for you???

Kathyis6incheshigh Wed 22-Oct-08 09:29:47

Was thinking vaguely of getting mine some proper walking boots, because she loves going walking with us and she doesn't have any. Wouldn't normally be thinking of spending that much money, but this would serve a purpose.

MarmadukeScarletbloodstains Wed 22-Oct-08 09:59:55

Yes, I am for real.

I reward hard work and enthusiasm, but it costs me nothing as I use amex points to 'buy' it.

TBH I have not done this for all APs only the good ones.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: