Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny in nw london now available..

(35 Posts)
ahappymummy Sat 18-Oct-08 16:41:53

hi! i am a 31 year old nanny who has approx 12 years experience which includes sole care charge of twins.i also hold a GNVQ in health and social care diploma as well as a BTEC national diploma in nusery nursing.
i also have a CRB check and a food hygiene cert.
i also have LOADS of patience and am extremely flexible!!!!
i am looking for a position that is approx 20 hours or 2-3 days.
i live in the hendon/colindale borders and am flex on areas ,hours,days and ages of children!
i am also mum to a happy,cheeky 2yr 5 month old boy so am only looking for families that are totally happy with a nanny who brings their own child!
thanks for reading!

ahappymummy Mon 20-Oct-08 21:30:53

HELLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOO??????xxx

mummypoppins Mon 20-Oct-08 21:58:33

ok so I am probably going to be shot down in flames for this but I find posts like this unbelievable.

Read on but bear in mind I have had a bad day....

AHM your second post screams disbeleif that us nanny employers have not snapped you up within days of you posting.

For a start you only want a nice little part time role 20 hours a week. I dont know a single person who earns enough in a 20 hour a week job to afford a nanny.

And then you say that you will be bringing your 2.5 year old to work. There have been several posts on here of late from Nannies who mention in passing that there children will be with them on shift as though its the most natural thing in the world for women to return to work with their children in tow.If that was the case then none of us would need nannies at all.

I may be wrong but I think you need to amend your style. You may be lucky enough to find a family that are prepared to accept that as a condition but I wouldnt bank on it in todays job market.

As I said am in a grumpy mood so dont take this personally. Just as it was something I had been thinking for a while and your post made me want to write it down.

MP

Mandelbrot Mon 20-Oct-08 22:03:41

Agree with mp about penultimate sentence. Sounds rather imperious.

mummypoppins Mon 20-Oct-08 22:18:49

their not there ! grumpy and I cant type !

champselysees Tue 21-Oct-08 15:15:18

FFS! Give the girl a break!

Plenty of families are looking for childcare for afternoons only or one or two days a week.

What a very rude response to a perfectly reasonable post.

PurlyQueen Tue 21-Oct-08 16:20:16

Plenty of people work shifts and may only need childcare for afternoons/mornings.

nbee84 Tue 21-Oct-08 16:54:00

Lots of people struggle to find Nannies that only want 20 or so hours of work. They are much more likely to find a Nanny with a child of their own that is willing to work part-time or afternoons only etc.

I think the only thing ahappymummy has done wrong is writing her 2nd post - I agree with mummypoppins about the way it has come across. She would have been much better to just write 'bump'

mummypoppins Tue 21-Oct-08 17:38:22

I dont think my post was rude at all and it certainly wasn't intended to be that way.

In actual fact I think I was doing the OP a favour.

Nbee84 hit the nail on the head. The second post set the tone and as a nanny employer myself the CV would go in the bin.

danceontherun Tue 21-Oct-08 18:59:58

Chillax people!!Lots of people would be ok with a nanny bringing her own child to work. Also some people do work part time so may need a sole charge nanny only a couple of days a week.Agree with champselysees give her a break.

Bubbaluv Tue 21-Oct-08 19:11:03

For not knowing that "bump" was the MN way? You sound like someone who wouldn't be nice to work for! Maybe you are a bit more friendly when you've had a good day?

ahappymummy Tue 21-Oct-08 21:22:17

hi guys!
er.....i am fairly new to mumsnet and didnt know you had to say 'bump'...so sorry for any offence caused!
BUT...i may now offend by saying what a miserable bunch.....! mummypoppins,mandel,mygod!!!!!
why do you not just relax,as you both sopund very uptight! tut,tut!
champs and all the rest of you lovely chilled relaxed ladies,a big THANKYOU for seeing the post for what it was,just a bump but said in a different way!
wow...and there was me thinking lots of people need a nanny part time.
maybe only people that work full time need nannies....makes sense dont you think....!!

Bubbaluv Wed 22-Oct-08 10:39:14

For what it's worth, I don't work at all and will still be looking for a part- time nanny in about a year's time. AND I would see it as a positive if the nanny brought her own child (so long as he/she got on with mine) as it provides a social element to the situation.
I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Mummypoppins, I think you should apologize.

mummypoppins Wed 22-Oct-08 13:41:54

apologise for having an opinion ? isnt it a free country anymore ?

ahappymummy Wed 22-Oct-08 16:13:53

mummypoppins...of course you are allowed your opinion,everyone should have the right.thankyou for all the positive threads about my post though! what annoys me slightly is that you dont get people ranting on when a childminder has her own child or children with her whilst looking after other children but a few people seem to have an issue with nannies doing it.strange eh?
and of course many different jobs have various perks that nannies would never be able to get,and childcarers also have the perk of being able to have their own children with them whilst working.sometimes that is...obviously not if mummypoppins had her way though!
bubba,i agree totally with the social element thing though,at least you are seeing it for what it is!

mummypoppins Wed 22-Oct-08 16:39:56

But hang on a moment...........my nanny costs about 3 times as much as a childminder. When you employ a nanny you pay for the exclusivity of having a qualified person who is devoting their whole time and attention to the wellbeing of your children.

Unless it is a nanny share in which case the cost to each parent is halved.

I know your post didnt mention money at all which is right to do so.

mummypoppins Wed 22-Oct-08 16:46:40

sorry that may not be clear. I mean that you were right not to mention money it wasnt a criticisism.........

Tiramissu Wed 22-Oct-08 19:37:48

Ahappymummy,

I think many faamilies are finding difficult to find a nanny for 2 days, especially an experienced and qualified one like yourself, because these nannies are usually looking for full time posts.

So i am sure some families would be happy to hire you and let you bring your own baby with you. It is very common for nannies. Personally i would like it as another poster said for the company. As long as you sort out with the family the practicalities i.e. double buggy, so that the babies can go out every day and have fresh air. Like nanny share really.
And no it is not like childminding because a) you are going to the family's house and b) you dont have to do school run for other charges. You should charge nanny's fees

I was very shocked with MP's first post.
As for your second post the 'hello' i would see it with sense of humur

Good luck smile

Tiramissu Wed 22-Oct-08 19:40:04

Oh and in nannyshare the cost is not halved for parents. Otherwise not nanny would agree to do it

ahappymummy Wed 22-Oct-08 20:13:35

thankyou tiramissu! im really happy as the overall picture i am getting is that generally people are happy with this type of chilcare(ie nanny with own child).
i have worked for 2 families with my own child and they have both been so welcoming, and happy that their child has a playmate they can bond with.
you have a nanny mummypoppins??!!
as you say everyone is entitled to their own opinion,i hope you wont get offended by mine,but i shouldnt imagine you would be the easiest person in the world to work for!
And tiramissu is right,nanny share cost are not usually halved.
I can assure you i still devote my time and attention to ALL the children in my care,whether my son is there or not.

Sullwah Wed 22-Oct-08 20:59:08

I will be looking for a part-time nanny in NW london next year when I return to work and I would never hire a nanny with their own child in tow.

If there is no reduction in cost then I do not see what the advantage is. But I can see lots of disadvantages.

You may get a load of people on mumsnet saying how wonderful it is etc ..... but I wonder how long it will be before you actually find work that accomodates all your restrictions.

Sorry if this sounds rude - just giving feedback from a potential employer

Turniphead1 Wed 22-Oct-08 21:19:01

I personally wouldn't ever hire a nanny with a child in tow, because I think it raises issues of conlicts in parenting/caring styles, house rules, sickness of the nanny's child etc etc.

However, I know people who have done and they seem happy with it. I do imagine though that a nanny with child in tow wouldn't charge quite as much as a nanny "unencumbered"?

FWIW, don't think there was anything wrong with the OP's post (save for the lower case "i's" and perhaps too many exclamation marks... (That was a joke grin. And the parttime issue seems daft. People who work parttime want parttime childcare. Quite straightfoward.

Best of luck getting a good position ahappymummy (good user name btw).

mummypoppins Wed 22-Oct-08 22:07:13

yes I have a nanny I have had for 2 years , have had 5 au pairs , 6 cleaners and 3 gardeners and employ 160 staff at work. None of them bring their own children with them to work.

QED

Notwithstanding all of this. I wish you well in your search for employment. Do let us know how you get on.

MP

sunnydelight Thu 23-Oct-08 09:45:12

So does a nanny who brings her own child charge substantially less then? (Genuine puzzled question btw, not stirring it). After all having an employee bring their child to work means that you are in effect totally subsidising their own potential childcare costs, providing food etc. for an extra child and allowing the extra wear and tear on your home (the main reason a friend of mine stopped nanny sharing was they always ended up round hers!!!). You are also paying for a shared care situation rather than exclusive care which presumably costs less?

Turniphead1 Thu 23-Oct-08 09:47:41

That's what I thought too SunnyD. Not quite the same as nannyshare - but similar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now