Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is this a realistic net amount to pay a full-time live-out nanny in West London?

(21 Posts)
Puppster Sat 18-Oct-08 15:58:55

- Sole charge 8mo
- 10 hrs per day Mon to Fri
- permanent contract with sickness & holiday pay
- extra petty cash for daily costs
- extra for occasional overnights / babysitting
- use of car during day if they want it
- good experience / references more important than qualifications

£350 - £375 pw? Could possibly stretch to £400 but that starts to get really expensive for us. We're not city earners, but trying to juggle 2 v demanding (inc. travel for me) and slightly high risk jobs in this scary economy...

TIA

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 18-Oct-08 16:22:17

depends on the nanny and how many years exp she has

for example a younger nanny,maybe 25ish should be happy with it - £70 a day (350)

but me as an old fart would want (and i get) £100 a day

happy hunting

Puppster Sat 18-Oct-08 16:25:17

Thanks Blondes - good to know. I aspire to you but will have to cut my cloth accordingly

oops Sat 18-Oct-08 16:29:55

Message withdrawn

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 18-Oct-08 16:30:29

PMSL

I am exp, but sooooooooooo worth it grin

RachieB Sat 18-Oct-08 16:39:41

that seems very low for london

i would get £350 if i did 5 days ( i too do 10 hr days but only 3 days a week at the moment)

and i live in south wales! where wages are low

would a childminder work ? or a nursery ?

as you have lots of extra costs with a nanny,and with only one child it will be cheaper i should imagine?!

xx

Puppster Sat 18-Oct-08 16:50:40

Thanks all, I was worried that it was low. I do have a nursery place reserved, but have just discovered that the job I am returning to now has lots of travel - away up to a week at a time every 3 or so weeks. Not at all what I want but needs must etc, hence looking to a nanny for the flexibility that would give when I was away.

Ho hum, maybe a nanny share could work, I'll look into that now

Blondes grin

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 18-Oct-08 16:56:38

if you emply a nanny who is osted/registered then you can use vouchers to pay nanny

works out £243 a month and both you and you hubby could claim them

sure you could find a younger nanny who would work for that, you really need a nanny for the flexibitly of childcare, esp if travelling

Puppster Sat 18-Oct-08 17:11:34

Thanks Blondes, will look into vouchers for DH and I as well

nannyj Sat 18-Oct-08 19:29:09

I get £400 a week live in in London, i would imagine it would be hard for a nanny to live on that in london i would think. But you should definately look for someone who maybe needs the experience. Good luck in your new job smile

nannyma Sat 18-Oct-08 21:27:48

£400 plus tax for 50h/w in London it could work but do not expect that your nanny will be english mothertang.
I do work for that money (it was my minimum) as I finde very nice family (I love children and parents are just great) and if I think how much they have to pay together with tax .... ooops. I know a lots of nannies who work for £350. But how I sed they are not mothertang and do not have a lots of experinces or they are not profesionals.
Also with OFSTED you can use vouchers as Blonde saying.

Lucy87 Sat 18-Oct-08 21:54:34

Although I know I'll be lectured by the older nannies who can't believe anyone under 30 deserves an equal salary, as a 21 year old nanny, I wouldn't be able to do 10 hours a day for that rate.

A full time London salary for me is 400+ minimum. But also I am not doing it for a career, so possibly someone who wants the experience would be willing to do it for less money than me.

Lucy

nkweto Sat 18-Oct-08 22:38:21

I have another related question.. when people say £400, do they mean net.. which is in effect something like £595 a week equivalent of £2,338 a month ?

I understand nanny shares cost a bit more (although split between the two families) what would be a typical nanny share rate ?

BlueGreen Sat 18-Oct-08 23:02:12

Puppster, I`m sure you can find an experienced nanny for £400pw( plus tax, ni). Its not that difficult.

nannyma, my mother tongue is not English but I bet I can spell better then you plus I get over £550pw net!

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 19-Oct-08 10:28:56

nkweto - nannies gen talk in nett terms, so they mean 400 nett and tax and ni on top

lucy as a 21yr old you wont earn and can not expect to earn the same money as an older nanny in her 30's who would have 10yrs+ exp than you

misslisa Sun 19-Oct-08 14:30:05

I am 24 and earn 550 a week minimum live out.

nannynick Sun 19-Oct-08 14:50:52

As a nanny in their 30's, I'm not getting £400 npw. £400 gpw perhaps, but not net. Now I know I'm not in London but I am only 25 ish miles away, plus I'm live-out. Perhaps I'm just too keen on having a job in the current market, to hold out for higher paid positions.

I don't know London rates, but I would say to have a hunt around the various internet sites which advertise jobs and see what is currently on offer, as that is the competition. In the current financial circumstances, I would expect that pay rates may drop, as people accept jobs at lower pay just so they have a job, rather than keep on job hunting waiting for a higher paid position to come along. I could be wrong... but to me there seems quite a few nannies looking for work and not that many employers. Anyone else got a view on that?

Puppster - offer what you want to pay and see if you get any takers. If you don't, then look at alternative forms of care - a childminder for instance.

BlueGreen Sun 19-Oct-08 15:39:25

You should get paid according to your experience not for your age. As you can be old but useless nanny. And for London £450+ is normal.

Nannynick, dont kknow where you live but here in London no job shortage and families are willing to pay top salary to get top nannies. Maybe you should move to London

asdmumandteacher Sun 19-Oct-08 15:42:33

Blimey i'm a teacher and think i might give it up now to become a nanny!wink

LittleDorrit Mon 20-Oct-08 14:11:34

IME there are large variations in nanny salaries in London. There are still lots of people who have very high salaries (banker types - there are still some left !!) for whom an extra £200 makes little or no difference, so they might be prepared to pay up to £600 net to keep their nanny happy. But there are also lots of other people who cannot pay high salaries.
Puppster - if I were you, I would look for someone who has some experience but is looking for their first "proper" nanny job, and offer £380 net - that will allow you an extra £20 as a pay rise in the future. Think of it as short term pain - once your child is 2 years old or so, they will be a lot more ready to go to nursery. 8mo is very little.

crispycake Mon 20-Oct-08 14:30:37

Im a qualified NNEB and am looking for my first nanny job. I have worked as a nursery nurse for over three years. I live in sw london and I would be looking to get £350-£370 gross per week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now