Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Paper work??

(12 Posts)
hazzajo Fri 17-Oct-08 13:21:08

Over heard some of the cm at toddlers this morning talking about how they spend all evenings and weekends doing paper work. I don't and am deliberately trying to keep things simple because I really don't want to be spending my spare time doing paper work. I didn't comment as I didn't want to look like the one who doesn't get it. Now I suppose I do have some photos that need printing off but to be honest that is about it??? Am I not getting it??? I know I have my SEF to do but am deliberately waiting a bit to do that as I have only been cm a few months and don't really know what to put in it yet. Sorry to waffle but am worried I am doing this desperately wrong.

AbbaFan Fri 17-Oct-08 13:26:02

I don't do paperwork every night either.

Are you doing bits for EYFS, and keeping your accounts, attendance etc upto date. If yes, then you are fine.

Ripeberry Fri 17-Oct-08 17:55:54

I'm also puzzled about all that overnight paperwork as well. There must be times even during the day if the kids are playing really well and /or they are having a nap that you can just catch up on SOME of the work.
Daytime would be for my work and evenings for my familly.
Or am i being naive as well hmm

aGalChangedHerName Fri 17-Oct-08 18:05:32

I used to do all my paperwork in the evenings/wekends too.

I now "make time" in my working day.

ThePrisoner Fri 17-Oct-08 19:46:13

I really wanted to respond properly to this thread, and list the "paperwork" that takes up my evenings and weekends, but I am too knackered to think that coherently.

I have worked from 7.30am today, and finished at 6.00pm (it was a short day). I had 3 mindees here, the eldest was 21 months old. We have had a lovely day, and I sent three small children home who had had a very happy time here. I also had children before and after school.

I wrote up 3 diaries during the day whilst still attempting to provide the level of service I tell parents that I offer.

There is no way on this planet I could have done anything over and above that and, to be honest, I wouldn't be happy trying to get other paperwork done during my working day without compromising the care of the children even more. Yes, it is related to my business, but is not anything which is directly linked to the children I care for during the day (like the diaries are).

The paperwork we need includes recording arrival/departure times of mindees each day, writing daily diaries, keeping accounts, keeping policies updated, ensuring risk assessments are done (I refuse to do a daily tick chart though!), doing monthly newsletters, making written observations and all that this entails (linking to the new EYFS framework etc., and putting it into a suitable format to satisfy Ofsted angry), keeping on top of written planning ...

There's more, I just can't remember it all (today has not been a good day). sad

And let's not forget that we still have to clear up at the end of each day, prepare activities/art'n'craft stuff for the next day, and ensure our houses are clean and safe on a daily basis.

Oh dear, I have had another rant, hey ho! smile

LoveMyGirls Fri 17-Oct-08 19:48:42

TP you are fab have I ever said how much respect I have for you?

Bloodandchatkins Fri 17-Oct-08 19:52:26

I do my attendance, and the kids diaries on a daily basis.
I do a weekly plan on the sunday night, and pin it on the noticebaord.
I do observations about once a month, well actually I don't even know how many we should be doing ! But so far I have done one on each child this month, and linked it to EYFS, planned next steps etc for each child.

I update their scrapbooks with artwork, photos and mementoes probably about once a month, and also link this to EYFS.
I change their artwork on the walls about once a month too.
I do my books monthly.
Risk assessment every 6 months.
Prepare activities if need be the night before, or morning if time,depending on what they are.
Think thats it ?!

ThePrisoner Sat 18-Oct-08 15:58:27

LoveMyGirls - shall we get married and make beautiful babies? grin

It is 4.00pm on a Saturday afternoon - I have now finished my childminding paperwork for the day.

looneytune Sat 18-Oct-08 19:20:59

As TP said earlier!

I've spent the day TRYING VERY HARD to get on top of my paperwork but it's really hard with your own kids around (noisy nagging 5 yr old grin and teething 16 week old!). I feel like all I've done is turned one big pile into several smaller piles!!! hmm lol.

I do post it notes for obs as and when i see relevant (my under 5 mindees are 9 months, 18 months and 20 months so a lot of things are note worthy) but I'm yet to do any proper writing up and linking to the framework! Tbh, I'm just getting used to being back working (started same day as EYFS came in force) and all this extra stuff will just have to wait for now!!

I don't do formal planning (presume we're supposed to but yet to finish reading my EYFS pack blush) but I decide things in my head and do things so I AM planning, just not writing it down!

Accounts.....don't start me on that....VERY VERY behind, tend to panic once a year and tell myself to do it as I go along but I'm already into the next year and never get round to catching up hence the doing in mass once a year!

AS TP said, I've got more I could add but with ds2 having me up MOST of the night, I really can't think straight right now!

Me and dh have many tiffs over childminding and it's not due to the mess and the kids, it's to do with the amount of stuff I try and do in 'family' time, I get really stressed and can't keep on top of the running of the house (hence the 7 loads of washing sitting upstairs earlier til I had words with dh!!)

Can you tell I'm a tad stressed lol grin

ShosheTheGhoshe Sat 18-Oct-08 19:33:03

Mine will be very behind this week, been to ill to do any today, so will be frantically trying to catch up all wee. sad

ThePrisoner Sun 19-Oct-08 11:44:05

<<Whispers very quietly>> It's Sunday, it's 11.45am, and I am doing more paperwork (bills for parents, tax return, sorting stuff for next week) ... <<slopes off with a caffeine-fuelled coffee>> ...

aGalChangedHerName Sun 19-Oct-08 13:46:50

I will update my policies and the like (big paperwork) on one or two days of my annual leave but i don't do accounts or general paperwork at weekends or evenings.

I just do what i can during the day. I am in Scotland so not sure that we have quite as much as you guys yet tho.

I just think while my dd's are so little,i spend enough time actually cming and paperwork during the day i am not prepared to take precious time away from them at weekends etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now