Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

mindee calling me mummy...help

(17 Posts)
hazzajo Thu 16-Oct-08 16:00:38

15 month old mindee has started calling me mummy. I can see why as I have a 2 year old ds who obviously calls me mummy but what should I do? I would hate for her to do it in front of her mum or dad as I can see that would be upsetting. Do I ignore it, or correct her everytime? Am new to cm and could do with some advice.

Spidermama Thu 16-Oct-08 16:01:40

Ahhhhhhh.
I guess you could tell the mum and get her to deal with it or ask her if she minds.

looneytune Thu 16-Oct-08 16:04:21

Totally normal. Pretty much every mindee I've ever had has called me mummy, my friend is called 'nanny' as she looks after her grandchildren too. I just say 'mummy is at work, I'm looneytune' and point to myself each time, that's all you can do really. I woudn't ignore myself.

HTH

looneytune Thu 16-Oct-08 16:05:31

Agree on mentioning to mum and say it's normal and it's because your ds calls you that

cmx2 Thu 16-Oct-08 16:18:38

i've had lo's call me mummy, they stop once they are old enough to realise your name. its normal. you can mention to parents so they know its normal and dont get upset by it.

hazzajo Thu 16-Oct-08 16:45:54

Thanks, glad to hear it is normal. Don't want to make a big deal out of it but don't really want to ignore it either iykwim. Will try and use my own name a bit more so she gets to know it.

ActiveC Thu 16-Oct-08 20:27:27

I do exactly as Looneytune does

TheConfusedGhostoooohw Thu 16-Oct-08 20:35:41

Ive been Nanny ( have a DGD that lived with us, so the mindees heard her calling me that) to most of my mindees (even their Mums call me it when talking to them about me!)

FairyMum Thu 16-Oct-08 20:37:57

Around this age my children have used the word "mummy" and "daddy" for "woman" and "man". Pointed at complete strangers in the street and said "daddy".....

Littlefish Thu 16-Oct-08 20:46:13

My dd used to do this with the childminder. My lovely childminder told me that dd was doing it and explained that she would just gently say what Looneytune said.

It never bothered me - in fact, I felt comforted by the fact that dd was obviously so comfortable with the childminder. smile

SammyK Thu 16-Oct-08 21:31:48

Ooh I have been meaning to post the exact same dilemma but didn't want to upset any mums who might read it!

I have started using my name alot and it does help. smile

mawbroon Thu 16-Oct-08 21:47:08

LOL, I have the opposite problem.

DS calls me by my first name!!

fishie Thu 16-Oct-08 21:49:54

you just say very nicely "i am hazzajo"

ds calls me cm name all the time.

KatyMac Thu 16-Oct-08 21:52:23

Katy says
Katy helps
Katy cooks
Katy changes nappies
Over & over again

& I often speak in the third person (I think that's what it's called) "Look Katy is doing the washing up"

SammyK Thu 16-Oct-08 21:57:49

ha ha that's what I say too KM - ^exactly those phrases! grin

southernbelle77 Fri 17-Oct-08 06:36:48

I have mindees who do this too! I usually say 'mummy will be back soon, but 'SB' can help with that if you want me to' or something similar.

My dd is used to be saying my name now that every so often she will call me that instead of mummy. She think it's so funny! I don't The fact she's started calling me 'mum' and not 'mummy' is enough for me to cope with at the moment

danceontherun Fri 17-Oct-08 12:05:29

Totally normal. If the lo is only 15months, then s/he won't have learned your name yet. Just keep repeating your name and eventually they get it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now