Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

So if you were driving home and you drove past your childminder who was chatting on her mobile whilst driving, would it worry you?

(26 Posts)
funkypumkin Wed 15-Oct-08 16:00:10

I mean, if she's doing it with her children in the car, presumably she does it when my children are in the car. DD2 has only been there 3 weeks (well two really as she's ill this week and not going in) but I'm not very happy, this just feels like the last straw, or am I over-reacting?

Booh Wed 15-Oct-08 16:18:02

No your not.

Driving on a mobile is illegal

I am a childminder BTW and I NEVEr use my phone driving

lindseyfox Wed 15-Oct-08 16:32:06

dont think you are overreacting at all, def have a chat with her about it.

there is no reason to drive and use mobile, it can wait until in a safe place to stop.

and if she was by any chance ringing for some medical assistance she could have just stopped and put hazards on.

SammyK Wed 15-Oct-08 16:34:51

Yes it would worry me.

No reason to drive and talk on phone.

You say it is the last straw - are there other issues here?

kerryk Wed 15-Oct-08 16:35:05

i would not be happy at all.

if you are not already happy i would be using this as my leaving excuse.

i dont care how important the call is, it only takes a minute to find somewhere safe to pull over.

happyfaceschildcare Wed 15-Oct-08 17:16:50

I would be worried seeing anyone driving and chatting on a mobile that alone someone in care of my child ! defo have a word with her and if you're not happy anyway just give ur notice.

TheOtherMaryPoppins Wed 15-Oct-08 17:27:13

shock

Penthesileia Wed 15-Oct-08 17:32:55

Grr. No - you're not overreacting. This is a real bug-bear of mine. I hate seeing selfish dangerous wankers people talking on their phones while driving. Idiots. Definitely bring it up and point out that she's breaking the law (as nicely as you can, of course ). I always gesticulate wildly and angrily at drivers I see talking on their phones (I should point out that this is when I'm not driving myself!!).

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 15-Oct-08 17:40:44

no you are not over reacting AT ALL

it is dangerous and illegal

if you need to talk on phone and drive then use bluetooth

i prob look a right nutter when in the car if people look in their rear view mirror as will see me chatting (as if to myself) grin

what else has she done/not done?

colacubes Wed 15-Oct-08 17:51:45

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo she is wrong, very wrong, only takes 1 second to change everyones life, you should mention it and dont apologise for it, thats your child, you have every right.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 15-Oct-08 17:52:55

Not on at all for anyone to do this but I would be bloody fuming if someone did this with my child in the car.

southernbelle77 Wed 15-Oct-08 18:26:48

Not over reacting at all. She should not be doing it at all, whether there was no children, her own children or worse still, someone elses children in the car.

Tell her you saw her and it concerned you as it is illegal and dangerous.

surreylady Wed 15-Oct-08 19:13:47

Yes would worry me - also re your not happy comment - we tried a childminder for a few weeks and gut said it was all wrong - ended up moving on as we were concerned - I would say examine your concerns - if it is wrong them look elsewhere - sorry if that sounds harsh - we moved to someone lovely - ended up with a nanny but no regrets on moving.

funkypumkin Wed 15-Oct-08 20:45:50

Thank you, have decided to let her go. Still in the trial period so don't think I even have to give her notice.
Other things include, giving dd (6 months) calpol without checking with me first. (Fairly sure this isn't right, I have to sign a consent form at nursery for dd1). Also I give her bottles in the morning with boiled water in them and she puts formula in them and heats them up. Monday, dd had diarrhoea (which is why I'm at home with kids today), and childminder only put half formula powder in, again without checking with me first. It's not right is it?!

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 15-Oct-08 21:01:48

guess CM are diffrent but i dont (as a nanny) sign anything if need to give child medicine - my mb trusts my judgement

same goes for milk, i would give 1/2 and 1/2 in that situation

tech if you dd had diahorrea she shouldnt have been at your cm's that day

but yes in all, if you are not happy then you should remove your child

hope you find a new cm soon x

nbee84 Wed 15-Oct-08 21:12:13

Agree with blondes - as a Mum or Nanny I would do the above (as a nanny I would check with Mum first)

As a childminder she should definitely have got your consent BEFORE doing any of these. That should mean written consent from you or if these things happen whilst you are at work - a phone call to get the ok from you and consent form to sign when you pick up your lo's.

funkypumkin Wed 15-Oct-08 21:24:49

DD didn't have diarrhoea when I put her in, she was fine all weekend, it was only during the day at the CM's it happened. Although she's been absolutely fine since I brought her home on Mon pm.
I also think she should have texted or phoned before giving medicine. There's other things as well. I won't go on, but thank you, I don't feel like I'm over-reacting now and will be looking for someone else.

funkypumkin Wed 15-Oct-08 21:24:49

DD didn't have diarrhoea when I put her in, she was fine all weekend, it was only during the day at the CM's it happened. Although she's been absolutely fine since I brought her home on Mon pm.
I also think she should have texted or phoned before giving medicine. There's other things as well. I won't go on, but thank you, I don't feel like I'm over-reacting now and will be looking for someone else.

nbee84 Wed 15-Oct-08 21:38:38

We don't mind if you go on! We're a nosey bunch grin

ilovethecake Wed 15-Oct-08 23:39:01

hi, sorry had to join in here, i have two pet hates about drivers, those who don't strap their children in car seats angry and the other is driving whilst on the phoneangry, you want to say to her DOH why do think they made it illegal**? doing that is totally stupid and irresponsible!!

happyfaceschildcare Thu 16-Oct-08 09:46:34

Hiya, just wanted to say that under the new EYFS us CM's are not allowed to give over the counter medicines at all only prescription drugs so she shouldn't have given your little one calpol, and even before this came in I would always have just dropped mum a text before doing so just to make sure it was ok, and I wouldn't change the amount of forumla I gave a child without written consent from mum, we are here to work with parents not take over from them so what you say goes, go with your gut feeling you can't leave your child with someone you can't trust.
Good luck x

changingsoon Thu 16-Oct-08 09:48:20

the prescription drugs only has been changed (theres a link somewhere) but you still need consent.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 16-Oct-08 11:21:48

funky pumkin - did you say anything to cm about driving/talking on phone?

where are you

maybe a cm on here can help you?

funkypumkin Thu 16-Oct-08 16:17:24

DD is off sick and isn't due in 'til Mon, so I haven't seen her to say anything. We're in trial period so I think I can just say thank you no and pull her out without notice (does anyone know if that's right). I might ring NCMA and check. I'm in Bromley, any nice CM's around who want to look after my dd?

happyfaceschildcare Thu 16-Oct-08 17:29:14

Hey, I used to live there doesn't help you now I know, sorry, I'm in Gravesend now near Bluewater probably a bit to far away for your needs wink but I'm sure you'll find someone you'll be much happier with soon don't be put off by one bad CM we're not all like that
With regard to the notice thing, I would imagine it depends on what your contract states are they NCMA contracts she has used ?
As long as you pay her for the notice period you don't have to send your dd not ideal I know cos you don't want to have to pay for care you're not happy with or not getting but yes ring NCMA see what they say.
Sorry I'm not much help on this one, good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now