Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

We've found a nanny but just wondered about employers insurances

(5 Posts)
runikka Tue 14-Oct-08 22:28:08

are they necessary? I just read that we should have liability insurance. I have also read about our nanny having insurances of her own aswell. Can anyone recommend a website where I can read up on both?

Arggh, scared and excited at the same time We have found a nanny in her early twenties with some experience who seems very nice, has her CRB, just waiting for final references but I cannot help but feel worried about leaving my little ones with a stranger. We have been through it before with nursery and a childminder but this is just different somehow. She is appointed first aid trained aswell so that is all good. We are considering some other one days courses recommended by Ofsted aswell just so we know that she has been given some pointers etc

hatwoman Tue 14-Oct-08 22:33:19

check your household insurance - it may well already be included, if not you can usually add it for a small amount.

you say you're waiting for final references, have you spoken to previous employers?

runikka Tue 14-Oct-08 23:02:42

Hi

Many thanks for your reply, will get onto Abbey insurance.
Yes we have spoken to one previous employer by phone and another we are waiting for a written reference from.

nannynick Tue 14-Oct-08 23:15:51

Employers Liability Insurance Guide - from HSE.gov.uk
As hatwoman says, contact your current household insurer to check your current cover and add it if it isn't included.

It would be up to your nanny to arrange their own liability insurance coverage. Morton Michel is probably the most commonly used policy, giving a good level of cover at a good price, without any additional membership of any union/organisation being necessary.
Your nanny does not have to have insurance, unless they are registered on the Ofsted Childcare Register (where it is a requirement) - though insurance would be recommended these days. The nanny needs to pay for this insurance themselves - I don't believe it is currently unknown what happens if the insurance is brought by an employer on behalf of their nanny, and subsequently that employer than sues the nanny... is the insurance valid? Possibly not... so best for the nanny to pay for their insurance.

nannynick Tue 14-Oct-08 23:17:22

Sorry, reading that back it didn't make total sense... but I hope you got the gist. I must be more tired than I thought, better go to bed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now