Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nannies!Do u buy Xmas gifts for the parents?

(16 Posts)
Rienn Mon 13-Oct-08 22:15:43

Hi
Xmas is approaching and I just wonder how nannies deal with it.
Do u buy presents only for the kids ?or also for the parents?(they only have to buy for u :-)
If u do buy,what and for what budget?

nannynick Mon 13-Oct-08 22:37:58

Have done in the past, generally something I feel they wanted for the house. I recall one year I got MumBoss a crop calendar (she is a keen gardener and had started a veg garden).

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 14-Oct-08 08:31:26

I normally buy a bottle of nice bubbly for them both - spend about £20

as well as buying presents for kiddiwinks

nannyL Tue 14-Oct-08 09:28:10

I normally get something for both the parents and the children too, while im working for them, then after that just the children

Stars22 Tue 14-Oct-08 10:17:41

I only get the parents something like chocolates. Then spend about £15-20 each on the children.

mogs0 Tue 14-Oct-08 12:59:56

When I was nannying I bought for the parents. Like NN, I tried to get something usefull for the house. While I was CMing I would regularly have 4 sets of parents so would usually do something just from their children rather than from me too.

danceontherun Tue 14-Oct-08 22:11:06

I get the parents a little something. Last year it was M and S vouchers. Bout £15 on parents the £15 each on children.

Josie3 Tue 14-Oct-08 22:15:53

I only buy for the children, then i help the children make something for their parents. I cover the costs for that - so figure that's my gift (and i'm sure they'd rather have something from the kids)

callaird Thu 16-Oct-08 20:39:18

I usually buy something for the parents from the children. A personalised calendar with pics of the children, a mug/plate/xmas decoration from a paint your own pottery place done by the children obviously!! A mousemat/placemats/coaster with pic of the children, something like that. If you are doing a calendar, remember to get the kids dressed up in something xmassy for December!!

callaird Thu 16-Oct-08 20:41:26

Oh! Tesco are doing a BOGOF on personalised calendars atm, so you can keep one for yourself! Or give one to granny if you get on.

And they are so so easy to do.

RachieB Thu 16-Oct-08 22:41:20

ditto josie3

x

Scroooge Fri 17-Oct-08 16:35:19

Interesting there are no parents on this thread yet - I wonder if anyone else has been biting their lip.

It may just be me (and I am a man, so presents are a mystery to me) but I hate it when I get a present from my nanny. Particularly vouchers. I look at the £20 M&S voucher that the nanny has bought from her net pay and think about the £3 National Insurance and £7 tax that has been deducted from her salary. I think about the £3 National Insurance that I have had to pay as her empoyer. Then I think of the £55 that I have had to earn to pay my tax on top of that. £55 for a £20 M&S voucher.

So I look at my present and think "Happy Christmas Gordan Brown, 'cos my nanny's just given you £35 of my money".

Now I know that is not the right way to look at it, and the money that I pay my nanny is not mine it is hers. I should feel pleased that she wants to show her appreciation for me by spending it in this way. But I don't, I just get annoyed at the inefficiency of it all.

Something from the children that the nanny has put some thought and time into (not necessarily hand-made, just talk to them about it, take them shopping and help them wrap it), that is what I want for Christmas please.

bumbling Fri 17-Oct-08 16:40:16

I'm a parent I'm a parent! Our nanny has finished now as DS is going to school nursery, but she used to buy a really nice pressie for DS say £15 to £20 but nothing for us and that's kind of what I expected really. For my birthday she gave me a free babysitting token which was much appreciated! We tried to get her something really nice from DS around £20 to £30 and tended to ask her if there was anything she wanted. Last year she wanted cash in Euros because she was saving for spending money for skiing holiday.

bumbling Fri 17-Oct-08 16:42:00

Sorry meant to say I really love the ideas that involve the kids though, whether crafty and arty or calendars etc. I'd have had terrible trouble not being really thrilled with something that had taken time and effort and would have been unbelievably chuffed to get that because I always mean to do those kinds of things but never get round to it.

Simplyme Fri 17-Oct-08 17:44:00

I buy two make your own photo calendars from somewhere like Hawkins bazaaer, I then decorate them and put in photos of their children that I have taken on my camera throughout the year. I make it seasonal ie summer photos for June/July/august etc and they are photos they have not seen. They then take them to work with them for the year. It is a nice touch I feel.

I kind of agree with scrooge in a way. They pay us and often have more money so it seems pointless to give them vouchers etc when you are technically giving them there own money back!!

Scroooge Fri 17-Oct-08 17:55:05

Simplyme you would make an old meanie very happy! Have had something similar in the past and loved it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now