Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much to pay for nanny share?

(28 Posts)
Mamasonachan Mon 13-Oct-08 21:48:58

Hello! My oldest has just started school and I am considering a nanny share to both help financially and also to give my youngest who is 18months old some company. My nanny is open to this but is suggesting that her hourly rate increase from £8.00 to £13.00 gross to be split between myself and the other family - is this normal? It sounds like quite a large increase and not really a huge saving - am not sure how to respond and can find no reference points with regards to average pay (this is for live out in london). Would love to hear any thoughts as I am not quite sure how to proceed Thank You!

Millarkie Mon 13-Oct-08 21:56:56

Blimey - seems a bit steep - I would have thought a rise from £8 to £10 would be reasonable..thus you are saving £3 per hour and she is earning 25% more.
I have nanny shared in the past and would not do it without a significant reason (ie. saving money) due to the hassles involved in organising things (who goes on holiday when, who pays for food, which activities can the little ones do and how much spending money does nanny get).

nbee84 Mon 13-Oct-08 21:59:38

£8 gross sounds quite low to me, £13 gross sounds more fair for live out in London. She gets a pay rise for the extra duties another child would impose (was she due a rise anyway?) and you get a £1.50 per hour reduction, but still have a nanny that is available all school holidays, inset days and if your oldest is not well enough for school.

Nanny sharing is a whole new ball game and I'm sure someone will be along to tell you all the pros and cons that it can bring.

nbee84 Mon 13-Oct-08 22:00:42

You could maybe negotiate to £12 gross ph.

Millarkie Mon 13-Oct-08 22:03:04

Ooh, just noticed you are talking gross not net! £8 gross is very low for London. Agree with nbee.

Mamasonachan Mon 13-Oct-08 22:06:57

Sorry my nappy brain still not functioning - she takes home £8.00 so in that case it is net - was never that great at accounting so confusing!

nbee84 Mon 13-Oct-08 22:09:56

£8 net is around £10 gross - so in a share you would be paying £6.50 gross. That's saving you £3.50 ph which I would say is a good saving (no good with figures blush but it's more than 25%)

Mamasonachan Mon 13-Oct-08 22:13:47

Except she wants £13 take home!

nbee84 Mon 13-Oct-08 22:25:09

Think she's taking the mick to want £13 take home. I don't know any nannies that are on that sort of money.

Just for clarification as you stated £13 gross in your op;

net = take home after tax and national insurance has been paid

gross = wage before tax and national insurance has been paid.

Mamasonachan Mon 13-Oct-08 22:34:09

Yes sorry was being stupid and got confused it is def net as we pay the tax separately! Thought it sounded a bit steep but wanted to check it out - what do you think would be reasonable?

nbee84 Mon 13-Oct-08 22:42:18

I would have thought £13 gross would be reasonable. That's just over £10 net which seems to be a fair nanny wage in London. If she's getting £8 net now she's still getting £2 ph pay rise.

nbee84 Mon 13-Oct-08 22:43:54

So if she's working 40hrs a week that's an extra £80. Sounds like a good pay rise to me!

Mamasonachan Mon 13-Oct-08 22:44:42

OK that is great thank you for your help

Mamasonachan Mon 13-Oct-08 22:47:55

I know wish my pay rises were as generous! Mine are more like £80 a month - feel more confident to negotiate something with her now!

nbee84 Mon 13-Oct-08 22:49:29

Good luck grin

Mamasonachan Mon 13-Oct-08 22:57:58

Thank You!

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 14-Oct-08 08:30:19

agree with others that £13 seems a bit steep

taking salary to £10nett seems more fair,as said she will earn an extra £80 a week - wish i did grin

Mamasonachan Tue 14-Oct-08 18:10:24

Thank you! - am just checking if there were any other thoughts before I make her an offer! So good to know another person agrees too

Mamasonachan Tue 14-Oct-08 18:10:26

Thank you! - am just checking if there were any other thoughts before I make her an offer! So good to know another person agrees too

lindseyfox Tue 14-Oct-08 18:25:24

if she is £8 net an hr now for having an extra child £10 net an hr seems more fair, she is a bit cheeky asking for £5 an hr more!!! mind you dont ask dont get!!

def would not go for more than £10 net an hr, also would make this her annual salary review.

very few nannies earn £10 net an hr or more and tend to be very very qualified and very experienced.

BlueGreen Tue 14-Oct-08 21:00:53

I remember some of the nannies here asking £10ph for there time. What i meant was if you are charging £10ph as a nanny why cant mentioned nanny cant charge more then £10ph when she works for 2 families. Beside, in London experienced nannies can get from £9ph onwards for only working for one family and if nanny share £11 or £12 ph is very normal. I don't think she is cheeky for asking that amount but you can always neg. to £12 or even £11.

I don't get some nannies who doesn't live in London but happy to comment on the going rate. Certainly, different areas has different rates. And if you ask me lindseyfox for the area you living you are asking too much. As I believe and know £10ph is London rates so I wouldn't hire you if i was in your area.

Ebb Tue 14-Oct-08 21:41:08

I think area is irrelevant. If an employer is happy to pay a certain wage and a nanny is happy to do the job for the agreed amount then that's fine. Not all high wages are in London. I worked in Wiltshire and earnt £400 nett a week as did several other nannies near me.

To the OP have a chat with your nanny and I'm sure you can find a compromise. She's probably gone in high so there's room for negotiation!

Simipa Thu 26-May-11 14:10:19

hi, so how much would you recommend for very qualified nanny in Ealing London which is taking home £10, what kind of increase?

Oligo Thu 26-May-11 20:47:38

I work in central London and earn £13net for a share. I think this is generous but I had been offered that somewhere else so they matched it. Another nanny earns 12.59p! net (they deal in gross) for a share. It is the increase that is so surprising for me not the rate of pay.
How long has she been working for you? has she had pay rises in the past?

Lily311 Fri 27-May-11 09:14:18

I am in London too, doing a share with 3 children. I get £12.40 net (sorry, don't know gross as the tax allowance is shared in a weird way). For London I would say that anything between £10.50-£12.50 is average but I certainly wouldn't do a share for £10 net an hour (esp that as previously said you can get that from one family with 2 or 3 kids and at least you only work with one set of parents, not two). I think your nanny is below average with £8 net and I would offer her £11 for nannyshare with the option to renew it after a certain amount of months.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: