Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is it mean on child to use CM for 6 months and then nursery ongoing?

(7 Posts)
likessleep Mon 13-Oct-08 15:28:31

I've found good CM who has 6 month vacancy and good nursery who have waiting list 6 months long.
Both of whom I would be happy with.
Is it mean on DS to switch from one to the other?
He will be 16 months from initially going to CM (if I go with this plan).
Thanks!

likessleep Mon 13-Oct-08 16:02:07

the reason i'm not staying with cm is that she is intending on doing teaching ft next sept, so everyone would be aware of set up.

just not sure if would be too unsettling for my son.

thanks

Dragonbutter Mon 13-Oct-08 16:07:09

sounds fine to me.
maybe swapping back and forth would be unsettling but 6 months is long enough to develop a relationship but not so long that your DS would be to heartbroken at the change.

Eddas Mon 13-Oct-08 16:09:09

I'm sure it'd be fine. I went back from ML last Nov. Initially SIL had dc(dd then aged 3.6 and ds then aged 7mths)

In May SIL said she didn't want to do it anymore, so I found a nursery. DD and ds now go there but dd is starting school in Jan and my intention is to change ds from the nursery to a cm.

If your ds goes to a cm first he will probably go and mix with other kids at toddler groups etc and so nursery shouldn't be a big shock IYSWIM

Children are very adaptable and will get used to things quite quickly.

DD had the most trouble settling at nursery(not bad but worse than ds!)

I think we, as parents, worry far more than the childsmile

likessleep Mon 13-Oct-08 16:18:46

thank you so much for responding and reassuring!
i have had such trouble finding decent childminder or nursery (maybe i am fussy grin). there aren't that many in the area i live.
i think it is fate that it may work out this way.
cm hasn't confirmed if she wants to go back or not (deciding in december) and we have been on waiting list at nursery for a few months (they said next september they will def have spaces).
such a difficult decision, this childcare malarky!

Eddas Mon 13-Oct-08 16:29:28

the mere mention of childcare sends me into spasmsgrin

I am looking for a cm for Jan and initally started looking near home, but have extended my search to on the way to work!

It costs loads too, but then atm I have 2 in nursery! I know all the threads on here re schools/childcare/work say it's still a pita, but I can't wait til ds is at school as I won't need childcare in the job i'm in. Well hopefully my boss will be as fab as he is now and be flexiblehmm I hate wishing ds' life away but it really is very stressfulsad

oh to be sahm <<<wishes>>>

TheOtherMaryPoppins Mon 13-Oct-08 16:41:12

They have to leave at some point anyway and will likely be unsettled a bit so don't worry, life is full of change isn't it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now