Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How do I find out how much a nanny costs?

(7 Posts)
HolidaysQueen Mon 13-Oct-08 09:41:23

I'm going back to work in March and just starting to look for childcare - contacting nurseries, getting lists of CMs. Anyway it just occurred to me that we may be able to afford a nanny but I have no idea how much it would cost. How can I find out the rough cost of a live-out nanny? We live in west London (zone 3 so not the really posh Kensington type bits!). Thanks!

nannynick Mon 13-Oct-08 12:01:52

1. Use internet job sites to look for nanny jobs, as if you were a nanny looking for a job.
Gumtree and NannyJob (currently offline today, for some reason) are good starting points.
2. Look at nanny agency websites which list job vacancies. Finding the ones which list jobs with salary expectations can be tricky, but with luck you will find a few to give you a rough idea.
3. Ask on here what other parents/nannies feel the current rate is likely to be in your area, you may need to be more precise about the area (Zone 3, West London doesn't mean much to me, as I'm not in that area... if you said Wimbledon, Twickenham, Hounslow then I'd know where you mean). Mind you, rate may not vary much by area, it seems to be more a case of Inner London, Outer London, and Outside the M25.

Very ball park, I would expect that a live-out nanny would want a gross salary of £9-£12 per hour. On top of that you would need to add Employers NI, plus weekly activities/outings kitty.

nannynick Mon 13-Oct-08 12:16:49

Some recent discussions we have had on here regarding how much to pay a nanny... may be of help.

Please Help What Should I Pay Nanny
Does This Sound Right To Pay A Nanny
Nanny Pay London

crispycake Mon 13-Oct-08 12:16:56

Hi i am a nanny in south west london looking for work and i am looking for £8-£9 per hour if that helps.

nannynick Mon 13-Oct-08 12:18:46

Net (take home, after taxes) or Gross (before deduction of taxes) Crispycake?

HolidaysQueen Mon 13-Oct-08 13:12:34

thank you - that's really really helpful! i'm in ealing so outer rather than inner london i guess.

i'll take a look at the threads and links. thank you very much

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 13-Oct-08 13:15:19

Ring up a local agency and ask - that's how I found out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now