Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Postnatal doula?

(11 Posts)
Verso Sat 11-Oct-08 05:21:44

I'm thinking of hiring someone to help me out postnatally with DC2 (am 32 weeks at the moment). I'll be having an elective c/s due to permanent damage from DD's birth - and my only help will be the first two weeks when DH is on paternity leave. My Mum is 80 and in any case doesn't really like babies shock, my MIL lives miles away, can't afford to take any time off work and thinks breastfeeding is weird (!)... so I'm pretty much on my own.

Is a doula what I need? I just want someone to support me for a few hours a day so I can do basic things like have a wash, eat something vaguely nutritious (I survived on oatcakes and nutrigrain bars last time!), change my pj's or even - gasp - put some clothes on (!). I found it very hard recovering from bad tearing and lacerations with DD on my own and am scared of being that isolated in so much pain again.

I've already provisionally booked a night nanny for one night a week (all I can afford) so that I can get at least some sleep because DH doesn't do nights - so I can't afford much more... but I really think at least until I'm starting to heal I could do with someone coming every now and again. I'm not sure how it works though.

phraedd Sat 11-Oct-08 08:35:10

both doulas and maternity nannies will probably want fairly regular hours so that they can book in other clients

Could your night nanny not help with some day time hours?

Where are you based and when is the baby due? I may be able to help with a few daytime hours if that's what you need and are local enough to me.

Mummy Knows Best

Mariy Sat 11-Oct-08 08:39:44

Where are you based?

lulumama Sat 11-Oct-08 08:40:17

contact local doulas.. if money is tight, trainee PN doulas might be more flexible price wise. also some doulas will do night work

some doulas also offer a cooking service where they will make sure you have ngood healthy meals prepared and also do housework and laundry, giving you time to get to know your baby

speak to local doulas and nannies and see what's what

lindseyfox Sat 11-Oct-08 18:39:55

perhaps if you need a few hrs help during the day a newly qualified nanny or mothers help may be what you need, someone to play with older child, make sure he is sorted and then give you some time to wash, eat and even get a little sleep.

sometimes a maternity nanny works out the same cost a week as a night nanny. I know I charge £10 an hr for single baby at night and a maternity nanny charges £500-700 for 24/5 or 24/6.

ShinyPinkShoes Sat 11-Oct-08 18:49:51

If you are prepared to supervise them you could probably get a trainee nursery nurse who could help you- the bonus for them is that they get on the job newborn experience.

Contact your local college for furthe info

Verso Sat 11-Oct-08 19:05:53

lindseyfox I'm only booking the night nanny for one night a week (there's no way we could manage £500!) and in any case I'm not wanting to delegate all care to someone else. I just want to make sure I get a good night of sleep one night a week as I got NO sleep with DD for about eight months and ended up severely depressed and anxious as a result.

The night nanny I may be booking is also a part-time midwife at the local hospital, which is why she does night nannying as it fits round her other hours. She wouldn't be able to do any daytime hours.

I'm in Carshalton, for those who asked.

hertsnessex Sat 11-Oct-08 20:16:13

A doula doesnt need set hours, and every doula works differently, contact a few and see what they say.

good luck

xx

lindseyfox Sun 12-Oct-08 18:50:03

oh i see i thought you had one booked for the full first week.

As a childrens nurse i too night nanny around my nursing job and often do 1/2/3 nights a week as a night nanny, for parents who just want a nights sleep without having to get up to the baby, i also will deal with any older siblings that wake such as a toddler just so the parents do get a full nights rest.

iwantasecondone Sat 01-Nov-08 19:34:49

I'm sure I'm too late, but I'm looking for post-natal Doula work in Carshalton... Any help?

phraedd Sun 02-Nov-08 17:43:15

Have you tried doula uk or nurturing birth

they both have a search facility

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: