Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Chances of finding a childminder who is very flexible and would only charge for the hours you need them

(16 Posts)
thesockmonsterofdoom Fri 10-Oct-08 16:35:36

Is it a possible or should I look down another route (do not what route mind you).

LucyTownsend Fri 10-Oct-08 16:41:23

That depends if you can find one who only has the hours that you need - if they can fit you around their other charges then you might not be charged a retainer fee - where abouts are you?

thesockmonsterofdoom Fri 10-Oct-08 16:43:39

Sheffield, it is not for now, i am hoping to go to uni next year but want to try and have everything kind of sorted in my head iyswim.

MOrticiaAdams Fri 10-Oct-08 16:46:17

The only way to find out, is to ask. Get a list of minders in your area and ring around. They won't mind.

I would have been flexible for you and if we couldn't work it 100%, we'd have sorted it somehow.

thesockmonsterofdoom Fri 10-Oct-08 17:12:12

good to know Mo, I asked one of the childminders at playgroup and she looked absolutly horrified and said no body would do that.
will be working shifts, but then lot of people must work shifts.
putting the dc in childcare is going to be the hardest bit of this for me after being at home with them for 5 years.

itgetseasier Fri 10-Oct-08 17:30:11

A childminder friend of mine only charges for hours used but not sure if she is that flexiable as I think it is hard to be ie having children for different hours each week.

KatyMac Fri 10-Oct-08 17:37:52

It is complicated

What sort of shifts? Are there other people on the opposite shift that might need care too?

Realistically, if I can earn for 50 hours a week & you want 15 spread over that period I am likely to charge a retainer but if you want 35 or 40 then I am much less likely to want a retainer - but you must accept I could lose 10-15 hrs a week by having your child (which is a more realistic option than losing 35 hrs)

Unfortunately a lot of childminders use their money to pay the bills so must maximise their income

cat64 Fri 10-Oct-08 17:47:49

Message withdrawn

nannynick Fri 10-Oct-08 18:49:58

Talk to the college, they must come across this problem time and again, so may well know of childminders (and other care providers) who would consider being of help to you.
If you are doing Nursing, then your local NHS Trust may have in place a Childcare Coordinator who may be able to assist (though not sure if they only help employees, or if that extends to students on placement).

PandaG Fri 10-Oct-08 18:52:49

which part of sheffield? I used to CM and know a fair few minders in S10

have to say the flexibility is difficult, unless you find someone that only wants very part time

thesockmonsterofdoom Sat 11-Oct-08 08:09:58

Thanks, I will ask if there is a child care coordinator, I am trying to have every thing in place in my head so i do not seem at all negative if I get to interview stage, I am hoping to do midwifery and the competition to get on the course is a bit fierce so i do not want to seem like I would be a problem because of childcare iyswim.

chloemegjess Sat 11-Oct-08 16:26:40

I would say it a possible, but as everybody says, it just depends on the CMs in your area.

I am very flexiable (but no where near you) as I am a new CM and just need to get going and I am in the process of talking to somebody who works shift work who wants me to start at 7am and do different days each week. This is ok for me as the children are older anyway so won't make drastic difference to my numbers.

MissyMay Sat 25-Oct-08 21:40:44

I'm a new CM and this is exactly the reason I went into it. Unfortunately nowhere near you but I offer whatever the parent wants basically, obviously within reason.
I'm at home with my 17 month old so anything that fits around her suits me!

spicemonster Sat 25-Oct-08 21:43:29

My CM looks after one of her charges on a really ad hoc basis - her mum works freelance so works different hours every week. But I know they had a relationship which was a bit more formal before that - is that something you could do to build the relationship?

Ripeberry Sat 25-Oct-08 22:18:55

Once i'm registered as a CM i'll take whatever people want (within reason) and work it from there.
It must get harder when you've been CM for years as other parents have routines set up by then.

mumnosbest Wed 29-Oct-08 15:43:35

Check out the thread for 'childminders with no mindees'. One of us might be in your area and able to help. I'm in Doncaster, not far but too far sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now