Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

If you are a new CM, may I suggest that you don't send a prospective parent this email...........

(17 Posts)
Eddas Wed 08-Oct-08 08:11:04

Sorry I have not been in contact but I haven't had much response to my advertising and so I am still not set up for child minding as yet.

The problem is that it is going to cost me quiet a bit, so I really need someone else as well so that I can recover the money I need to pay out.

You are welcome to come and see me if you want, but as I said I am not really ready so I haven't got very many toys just yet. It might be worth you waiting a little bit longer to see if I get any response over the next few weeks.

I will no be contacting her again, but was shock I'm not sure she'll ever get any mindees tbh

GordonTheGhoul Wed 08-Oct-08 08:17:50

Ooh she sounds fab. hmm grin

coolj Wed 08-Oct-08 09:02:04

So sorry for you Eddas. She sounds like a total waste of space. Lucky escape for you and your LO.

There are lots of REAL childminders out there. Come find us.

SammyK Wed 08-Oct-08 09:04:11

How odd! hmm grin

At least you know for sure now and can cross her off your list eddas! Yes most of us are lovely. grin

looneytune Wed 08-Oct-08 09:18:29

OMG shock, don't know what to say....she'll not do well in business with that attitude!! Anyway, they usually get a grant to help with start up costs plus she doesn't need to buy a hell of a lot to start with.

At least you now know that you won't be bothering with her rather than you waiting in limbo!!

Lizzylou Wed 08-Oct-08 09:20:04

I know my CM made no money at all in her first year (just about broke even), she bought new car/toys/car seats etc.

What a very strange email!

Eddas Wed 08-Oct-08 09:53:47

i'm glad it isn't just me thinking hmm

My thoughts were, well you won't get any mindees if you wait til you get your full quota, or whatever it is she's waiting for. I only need parttime care but then alot of other parents do too.

Surely it is hard enough to get your first mindees without turing someone down because they only needs parttime help?

It's a shame for her because she lives in the same small village as me and i'm on the pre-school committee so know lots of people who may need childcare! Also, dd will start school in Jan so would be able to recommend to lots of people there too. Infact I spoke to one mum at preschool who will need a childminder from Feb and she has 3 under 5's and i'd said i was waiting to hear from this lady and if she was any good i'd give her the number!

Re toys, i couldn't have cared less if she didn't have one toy in the house, since I didn't want an immediate start. Also, I have enough toys in my house to fill Hamleys so i would've let her have some of his toys! You can pick up such good cheap things these days that it really isn't a valid excuse.

I really do think she will fail as a CM. when you start up a business it is very likely that in the first few years you will not make any money. You should be prepared for that. If you're not then you shouldn't be self-smployed you should get a paid job!

I'm not put off cm's, just thought i'd share it with you all to see what you think!

I'm so tempted to give her some advice via email (constructive) but don't feel I should waste anymore time tbh. So tempting though!

SimpleAsABC Wed 08-Oct-08 10:21:04

I wouldnt eddas (although I can see why you would be tempted too) she might think your trying to get her to change her mind and then you'd possibly end up having to say nicely (as i'm sure you would ) thanks but no thanks...

KWIM?

Eddas Wed 08-Oct-08 10:30:23

IKWYM, simpleas, I won't bother replying to her at all.

The search continues...............

LazyLinePainterJane Wed 08-Oct-08 10:32:40

Oh, don't give advice, you don't want to be the one who touched it last, IYSWIM!? grin

MascaraOHara Wed 08-Oct-08 10:33:34

Blimey.

I read threads about CMs on here sometimes and it just makes me love my CM even more... she is so fantastic

tortoiseshellWasMusicaYearsAgo Wed 08-Oct-08 10:33:43

Hows that?

My eyes or screen have gone funny - all the divisions between the posts have gone!!!

tortoiseshellWasMusicaYearsAgo Wed 08-Oct-08 10:36:50

sorry wrong thread!

happyfaceschildcare Thu 09-Oct-08 11:04:53

omg eddas I wondered what had happened with your thread if she had ever got back to you what a cheek where are you based can one of us on here not help you ? the cm's that are "set up" for childminding as she puts it hmm

JenniPenni Thu 09-Oct-08 12:41:38

I am in my second year of childminding now - in my first year I bought LOADS of equipment, resources etc. etc. You need so much!!! And we do not have kids either, but I was serious about my new business and wanted to give it my all. I still do. I lose a wheel on a tractor, I get a new one.

I wouldn't touch that CM with a bargepole tbh, if she is so unprofessional now before even starting, imagine when she is actually working - it might be a nightmare.

Eddas Thu 09-Oct-08 14:54:28

jenni, i totally agree. told dh about her reply yesterday and he was shock She won't get very far.

Happyfaces, i'm in Kent, but sadly in Maidstone not Dartfordsad I have contacted a cm from mn and am meeting her in a few weeks. She seems very nicesmile

happyfaceschildcare Thu 09-Oct-08 15:14:34

Good luck with your search, I'm sure you'll find a lovely childminder and without a doubt better than this one !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now