Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much for a live in full time nanny?

(10 Posts)
moominsmummy Tue 07-Oct-08 19:31:00

SOrry if it's a bit morbid but I need to work out how much a full time live in nanny would cost should I die and DH is left with the kids. DH has a chronic progressive illness so would need full time help with the kids - can anyone give me a rough annual cost of a nanny?

if anyone also knows how much a housekeeper/home help would cost for a couple of hours each day (cleaning, tidying, washing and preparing a meal) that would also help.

it'll help me work out what level of life insurance to go for (and make me realise how totally undervalued and unappreciated all of us mums are! wink)

moominsmummy Tue 07-Oct-08 20:56:38

anyone please??

nannyL Tue 07-Oct-08 21:35:02

it depends very much where are you are in the country

also live in nannies work 10 - 11 hours a day 5 days a week max.. if he would need 24/7 help then you would need to fator in more than the cost of a live in nanny smile

moominsmummy Tue 07-Oct-08 21:37:22

we live just outside manchester (not in the affluent areas though!)

whooosh Tue 07-Oct-08 21:56:05

If you are likely to need 24/7 care you will probably need to factor in day nanny,night nanny/carer and weekend nanny.
Cost will be astronomical if you need a trained nanny capable of sole charge of under 5's.

NannyNick is probably the best advisor on this...

So sorry to hear about your situation-would DH be eligible for any car allowance?

nannynick Wed 08-Oct-08 19:25:08

Not sure how I can help really.
For insurance purposes, live-in nanny working 50 hours per week, say £400 per week to include all taxes (including employers NI) but not including things like daily expenses for activities.

lindseyfox Thu 09-Oct-08 16:44:15

I would say for a live-in nanny who would be on call 24hrs a day maybe 6 days a week you would be looking at equivalent of a maternity nanny salary of £600 per week gross. then you would need a person for her day off and then perhaps another £100 for that day.

housekeepers cost around £10 an hr!!!

perhaps 2 au-pair plus' would be the best bet at £100 each a week for 35hrs each a week

moominsmummy Thu 09-Oct-08 19:51:30

thanks folks - it will help me work out a rough figure anyway which is all I can do

moominsmummy Thu 09-Oct-08 20:08:34

OMG!! I am way undervalued! Taking into account my small salary and it comes to nearly £900,000 over the years until my youngest is 16 (and assuming they can cope with just an au pair from age 12)

DH has just pointed out that it would probably be cheaper for him to get a mail-order bride! grin

lindseyfox Thu 09-Oct-08 20:18:07

bet hes plotting the posioning now!!! - (i am joking just in case anyone thinks am not!!)

I think that mums should be paid a salary for staying at home to care for their children even if its min wage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now