Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Please help - what should I pay nanny?

(17 Posts)
Oodle Tue 07-Oct-08 14:05:46

Going back to work soon after my 3rd child and looking to employ a new nanny - my last nanny was from Slovakia and I paid her cash (£80 a day). Have found a fab Ozzie nanny who lives here permanently and she understandably wants me to pay her tax and national insurance too. We live in Twickenham and it is a live out position, looking after 3 kids (6,2 and 8 months) for four days a week. What is the going rate for an experienced nanny, and how much would the tax and NI work out roughly? Don't think I'm going to be able to afford it... Thanks!

fatcatlawyer Tue 07-Oct-08 14:58:39

www.nannytax.co.uk will give you all the figures.

Presumably you will also be paying all the tax and national insurance you fiddled last time as well.............

nannynick Tue 07-Oct-08 18:22:50

Experienced nanny, live-out in Surrey can expect to get around £10 gross per hour.
If each day is 10 hours, then annual gross salary is £20,800.
Assuming nanny has a standard single person's tax code, you would deduct income tax of £2,953.00 and employees NI of £1,687.40 source
You would also pay Employers NI of around £1,967 source

So total cost to you: £20,800 plus £1,967. Call it £23,000 to be safe.

jura Tue 07-Oct-08 18:34:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lindseyfox Tue 07-Oct-08 18:49:13

I would £10 net an hr for a live out experienced nanny in your area.

Turniphead1 Tue 07-Oct-08 18:53:42

Oodle - do you or your DH have a childcare voucher scheme through work ? If you do, you save some money as the vouchers come out of your pre-tax income. Your Nanny will need to join the Ofsted voluntary register (and have a recognised first aid cert) to be paid in this way - and it costs £100 to reg but it does defray some of the cost.

I am paying £9 per hour net (central london) to a fairly experienced nanny. The market is not as bouyant for nannies as it was a year ago - so she may accept that.

lindseyfox Tue 07-Oct-08 18:58:55

when you say £30k a year I am thinking I should give up my community nurse job and nanny full time, howver no offence but think i would get bored full time nannying.

i suppose we also have to remember for £30k salary a nanny is full time and thats 50hrs a week.

my full time is 37.5hrs - well it should be always doing extra free - i think the NHS rely on us all do those extra free hrs.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 07-Oct-08 18:59:38

agree if experienced that £10nett seems to be the going rate

what is she asking for?

beforesunrise Tue 07-Oct-08 19:08:41

i used to pay my nanny 8.50 ph net, in central london. only one child though.

BetterchangenameforthisIspose Tue 07-Oct-08 19:23:28

FourArms Tue 07-Oct-08 19:59:00

Message withdrawn

AussieLou Tue 07-Oct-08 20:09:24

If it helps any, I work in the same area, nanny for 4 children (am very experienced, qualified and agree with others...its a buyers market right now for nannies) and do a waaaay lot more then I am meant to (such as cleaning out the garden shed). I am on 340 net weekly and am about to ask for more. Then again I do a 70hr plus week.
I hope that gives you some perspective.

jura Tue 07-Oct-08 20:11:25

jura Tue 07-Oct-08 20:13:42

AussieLou Tue 07-Oct-08 20:19:08

live in
I am contracted for 12hrs per day and
technically have time off during day but kids are at international school so finish as odd times, plus have to shop, cook, do kids laundry etc so not much time off during the day....like I said it a buyers market.

jura Tue 07-Oct-08 20:23:13

AtheneNoctua Wed 08-Oct-08 08:02:51

If it helps to put things in perspective, a childminder in Twickenham will cost you roughly £6 per hour per child. shock

If you can manage a live in position you will find it loads cheaper, and also much easier to hire someone from abroad to fill the post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now