Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Washing cloth nappies - dry pailing OK?

(12 Posts)
buzzybee Mon 06-Oct-08 10:20:05

We have just started a childcare centre and are encouraging the use of cloth nappies. We wash the nappies on site. Does anyone know of any health reason why we shouldn't just dry-pail then wash all the nappies together? Should we be soaking in napisan to stop the growth of bacteria before we wash? I'd appreciate any cross-references to official websites etc!! Many thanks.

WhereWolfTheWildThingsWere Mon 06-Oct-08 10:29:09

Here might be of use.

Do you mean you will be washing other peoples nappies?

Could there be an issue with sensitivity to certain washing powders?

Will you be washing very hot to deal with things like thrush?

Some nappies ie bamboo will not wash that hot.

Fwiw I wouldn't want anyone else to wash my nappies I would want to take them home.

I this isn't what you mean then I appologize in advance and hope the above lonk is of some use.

thisisyesterday Mon 06-Oct-08 10:35:48

buzzybee, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't dry pail. I have done so for both of my kids and far prefer it to wet pailing.

However, I think that if you are running a childcare centre there may well be rules about how hot things need to be washed. in which case you will probably need to use either pre-folds or terry squares which can be washed at 90 degrees.

hopefully someone else who knows more will be able to answer this for ytou

ilovemydog Mon 06-Oct-08 10:36:27

DS was recently at a nursery in London where they used reusables. The way it worked was that I supplied a nappy for him to come home in, and while he was there, he wore their reusables.

But great you are doing reusables! smile

buzzybee Mon 06-Oct-08 22:25:24

Thanks ilovemydog - do you know how your childcare centre launders the nappies? Do they drypail, then wash at 60 degrees?

There don't appear to be any "rules" about this that I can find. I have asked the health authorities and TBH it seemed to me they were just talking from a personal perspective "I think you should do this..." rather than using any actual official guidelines. I guess most childcare centres use disposables so its not a major issue for them to consider (yet!!) For example she suggested soaking in Napisan but I already know that that's not recommended by most manufacturers as it degrades the nappy.

Parents of course have a choice! They can use disposables if they don't like the idea of cloth. The parents actually supply the cloth nappies and we label so they never wear someone else's nappy. So the issue is possible cross-contamination during the laundering process.

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it!

thisisyesterday Tue 07-Oct-08 17:47:30

I think most places that use cloth use a laundering service like cotton bottoms used to run.
we have one local nursery round here that used to do this until cotton bottoms ceased to exist lol

ilovemydog Tue 07-Oct-08 20:46:09

It was The Grove in Islington (london)

Absolutely fab nursery. smile

morocco Tue 07-Oct-08 20:48:33

why not just give them to the parents to wash at the end of the day?
I'm v anal about my nappies and don't even let dh wash them, heaven forbid a random nursery worker be let loose on them with a boil wash and bleach at the ready grin. shiver at the mere thought

2cats2many Tue 07-Oct-08 20:49:33

I used to work at a nursery that used a nappy service. Parents could choose whether to supply disposables or pay for the nappy service. The nappy service came and collected the nappies twice a week and delivered clean ones. Parents supplied the over pants, etc. It worked very well as a system and the take up from parents was about 50%.

GreenMonkies Tue 07-Oct-08 20:58:04

How about contacting a nappy service and seeing how they do it? They are washing vast numbers of nappies from different bottoms, so they would know if there are any regulations you need to stick to. If they are prepared to share the info!!

And can I say, as a nappy-washer, that I think it's fantastic that you are using cloth in your centre, I supplied cloth nappies for my daughters to their nursery and whilst the staff are happy to use them I got no discount or anything!! (the nursery provides disposables as part of thier fees, no extra charge)

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 07-Oct-08 21:01:26

Disposable nappies are included in the daily rate at our nursery so I didn't send them in washables, but the parents i know who do, just get their nappies back at the end of the day, each one tied in a nappy sack. Or one mum provides her own wet nappy bag.
If I had sent mine in washables I'd have just expected to get my nappies back dirty each day.
There are no health reasons why you should not dry pail.
I never used napisan as it shortens the life of elastic and pul on wraps, aio's or stuffables, and I would not want anyone else using it on my nappies either.
I was advised when my two shared nappies that if one has a bug you should wash on min 90 deg. So I would assume that if you are washing nappies from lots of different children you should wash VERY hot. Some nappies won't suit this.
Why on earth are you washing everyones nappies? Just send them home with the child!
Or do your mothers use disposables at home and you ask them to provide washables just to use at nursery?
If a child has a runny bum do you have a supply of spare nappies for those days that they seem to get through a lot?

GreenMonkies Tue 07-Oct-08 21:37:34

At the nursery mine go to, two runny poos and they ask you to take your child home!

I just provide a wetbag and they give me the dirty nappies at the end of the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now