Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminders reports and the data protection act

(15 Posts)
Marney Sat 04-Oct-08 17:15:35

Just thought there might be other chilminders out there who might need to know where to complain

After my report went on the internet i got in touch with the Information commissioners office.It took a while but basically they said they would write to ofsted to advise of their adverse assessment.It appears they breached a number of principles They put my one chids age on like most people she isnt 14 for ever i dont know if they intended updating it and why they should have put it on.They were also likely to have breached the fourth principal apparently as they put inaccurate info on i had not breached any regulatoin as they finally admitted So anyone else out there been accused of breaching regulations or too much personal information check out the Data Protection Act 1998

Marney Wed 15-Oct-08 11:43:08

Are there no childminders out there wanting to protect their privacy!!! Ive looked at other childminder reports and so much info about who lives in their house.For anyone in my position single parent one daughter I felt it made us vulnerable we are both well under 5 ft tall the absence of a man around the house wasnt something I WANTED ON THE INTERNET.
It also wasnt likely to attract parents a 14 year old!!! Parents could think moody teenager although she has always been pleasant and reasonably friendly fortunately!!!!
Anyway The third principle data protection states personal data shall be adequate RELEVANT and not excessive in relation to the purpose .Has no one else experienced too much personal info or even as in my case libel for example a false claim made by Ofsted such as the childminder has breached a regulation One day maybe I will be able to say I dont hate ofsted anymore at least now they have no power over me I DID IT I stopped being registered and im now a childminder excempt from registration oh the freedom

TheConfusedGhostoooohw Wed 15-Oct-08 11:56:01

Marney you cannot be a CM exempt from registration.

It is illegal.

JenniPenni Wed 15-Oct-08 12:13:13

Marney, anybody reading your online OFSTED report will not know it is you unless they know your OFSTED registration number, which isn't likely unless you have given it to them... they do not write names, addreses or contact details on the report.

Re being exempt from registration, this is impossible. If you are not registered you are operating illegally.

NumberFour Wed 15-Oct-08 13:45:13

On what basis are you exempt from registration? Did OFSTED grant the exemption?

looneytune Wed 15-Oct-08 14:00:11

As others have put, it's illegal

tigersmum Wed 15-Oct-08 14:05:19

It comes with the territory. If you dont like it then leave childminding. Surely you knew when you were registering that your report would be on the internet!

Booh Wed 15-Oct-08 16:24:37

How can you be a childminder exempt from regestration? As I would LOVE to be

SammyK Wed 15-Oct-08 16:43:02

You are breaking the law marney.

On another thread marney mentioned that if you mind for less than two hours, for over 8's (I think), then can be unregistered.

As if! Who would bother for that amount of hours for schoolies only! hmm

I don't believe that these time /age limitis are being stuck to for a second. Sorry.

As for information on registration - I genuinely don't mind my family details on there. From a security POV someone local with eyes in their head could gain just as much information about who lives here and is much more likely to be a threat. hmm

dustystar Wed 15-Oct-08 16:45:36

I think thats true about the less than 2 hours thing sammy and I do mind a boy of 8 for just 2 hours, one day a week after school. I am registered thoughsmile

SammyK Wed 15-Oct-08 16:48:31

S'ok DStar I know you are and I will let you off! grin

dustystar Wed 15-Oct-08 16:50:40

grin

nannynick Wed 15-Oct-08 17:31:26

There was recent consultation on what info Ofsted was to make public about childminders. As part of that consultation process, Ofsted asked if names, addresses etc should now appear. The decision was made not to do so (I voted to have that data available, as it enables parents to find chilcare providers - the current system makes it difficult), thus the Ofsted reports are still showing what they did several years ago.
Prior to an Ofsted report being published online, it is sent to the childminder - at that stage you are able to ask for it to me amended. If childminders don't object at that stage, then the report goes live on the internet. As far as I can see, opportunity is given for childminders to object to certain things being made available online - Ofsted have agreed to some of those things (such as Name, Address, Postcode, Phone Number). Nurseries don't get the choice. I can't see why Childminders are any different - it's still a business like any other.

Marney Wed 15-Oct-08 23:00:35

Ofsted have made it perfectly clear on what basis a childminder can be exempt from registration in response to the confused honestly its legal !!!Its possible to find children to mind to fit in so IM happy!!!
When I recieved my report it was already on the internet as i understand it this has happened to others ?Its only necessary to know the postcode to find a childminder and information about who lives in the house if it includes ages of children and numbers of adults is too much in my opinium. its also easy to get maps and more info leading to the address from the postcode

Marney Thu 16-Oct-08 10:12:25

In reply to surely I knew my report would go on the internet of course I did!!!
But I did not know Ofsted could threaten prosecution when a childminder hasnt breached any regulations .I did not know they would be putting a false claim of such on the internet and even after recieving complaints leave it on.They admitted I hadnt breached any regulation.
There is a serious side to this you must have heard of teachers who have been in complete despair after Ofsted inspections and those who for that reason killed themselves .Had I not stayed angry and suceeded in getting my report altered and apologies from Ofsted it could have been me.I BELIEVE CHILDMINDERS have the right to fair treatment and to know Ofsted can get it very wrong.
Actually it would have been nice to have enough trust left in ofsted to cotinue to be registered .Ihave taken the only sensible option though ithink and it will be inconvienient at times yes to not be able to mind children under8 for more than 2 hours a day.I could have not let other childminders know but when it happened to me it would have helpd to know about the data protection act etc'!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now