Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Should I quibble over £15 with a parent???

(23 Posts)
AbbaFan Fri 03-Oct-08 18:00:57

Had a mum pay me £240 in cash for a weeks childcare today, however it should really have been £255 (I didn't realise until she left and I checked it all out).

The mum is a great payer and always pays me on a friday, but has always worked it all out herself (even though I have offered to work it out for her).

Although I have looked after her 3 year old for 2 years, I have just taken on her older child before and after school, as her older one has transferred to my pick up school. Plus we had an inset day today, and I charge a reduced joint fee when I have them all day together. Therefore this week was all a bit complicated - money wise!

So should I mention it, and if so how. I find money talk so awkward.

TheOriginalXENA Fri 03-Oct-08 18:02:13

I wouldn't, but I would work it out and give her a bill from now on.

SammyK Fri 03-Oct-08 18:05:57

Agree with xena - just chalk this one up to experience, and next time you are due fees, give her an invoice. Don't ask her if she wants you to work it out for you - just do it.

If mum is always a great payer I would let it go as a genuine mistake - or if you genuinely can't afford to bring it up in a jokey way, as a good payer she will probably be mortified.

Personally I would want to hold onto a good payer and keep them onside, which is why I would let it slide, and take control from here on out.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 03-Oct-08 18:06:44

i would mention it, just casually that once you had worked it out as things/hours had been a bit different, that fees were £15 more

TheConfusedofthedeadOne Fri 03-Oct-08 18:39:53

How do you not give invoices?

What about your tax receipts?

How do you prove what you have earned?

And no I wouldn't ask her for it, if you don't give invoices.

AbbaFan Fri 03-Oct-08 18:48:39

With regards to invoices - I just write in my accounts book what I have been paid. Ofsted have been fine with this when I have been inspected.

If I just start giving her an invoice now - after 2 years, it will look a bit weird now though.

KatyMac Fri 03-Oct-08 18:50:59

Just say you found out that under EYFS or new rules from Ofsted you now have to give invoices grin

TheConfusedofthedeadOne Fri 03-Oct-08 18:51:07

Blame it on EYFS grin

TheConfusedofthedeadOne Fri 03-Oct-08 18:51:27

snap Katy grin

KatyMac Fri 03-Oct-08 18:54:25

Great minds??

or fools seldom differ??

AbbaFan Fri 03-Oct-08 18:58:18

Thanks - yes good idea!

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Fri 03-Oct-08 19:00:42

How much childcare does she get for £15? Is it possible she missed it easily? After all this time I doubt she would be trying to diddle you out of £15.

(Diddle being a technical term.)

bamboostalks Fri 03-Oct-08 19:01:54

I would ask her for the money. Why be embarassed? you have earnt it.

AbbaFan Fri 03-Oct-08 19:02:49

It's about 4 hours.

I know - Im sure it's just a general mistake, with all the new hours this week.

ilovethecake Fri 03-Oct-08 23:20:19

Hi, i'm afraid i would ask for it, even if i was £5 down, in my book honesty is the best policy, i would explain that you have had a complicated week, money wise you you worked it out to be £15 pounds more, i wouldn't start asking for an invoice, as you haven't asked for one before, i'm sure it was an honest mistake, but you have earned it, £15 makes a difference!!

mysonsmummy Sat 04-Oct-08 16:38:52

not sure how my friend gets away with being a childminder. doesnt do invoices - anything of the like. never paid a penny tax and doesnt even tell TC people about the kids where the parents are even claiming tax credits. oh and shes on full income support. oh and gets called the going back to work interviews regular !!

i think it might just be a case of a computer going click and it all coming tumbling down around her.

AbbaFan Sat 04-Oct-08 17:55:55

MSM - Is she registered? Sounds like she's not!

A CM does not need to tell the TC people about tax credits - thats upto the parents to sort out. I don't even know how much my parents are getting from the TC people.

If she is registered as Self-Employed, she would have to complete a tax return, and tell them about any income support.

MollieO Sun 05-Oct-08 21:55:49

If I underpaid my CM I would expect her to tell me. I do a different number of days each month and therefore the monthly total is always different. Most of the time I get it spot on but I have been known to over/under pay and she has told me. I would be mortified to discover I had underpaid and she didn't feel able to tell me. If she didn't and I later found out I'd be concerned about what else she didn't feel able to tell me!

MollieO Sun 05-Oct-08 21:57:08

Should also add that my CM doesn't give me an invoice. The hourly rate is agreed in a written contract and the hours of care are written and signed for in her register (inspected by Ofsted) each week.

JenniPenni Mon 06-Oct-08 09:53:27

I invoiced a parent incorrectly - for about £60! - and only realised after payment (electronic) was made, told her I had made an error and we popped it onto the next month's invoice. Mums and dads know we are human too, and we can make little adding mistakes. Just be open about it

AbbaFan Mon 06-Oct-08 09:53:45

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to write all the hours down and give it to the parent.

I told her this morning that I wasn't so much worried about the money, but just wanted to make sure that we both had the same understanding about what hours were being charged.

Should all be sorted tonight - phew!

monkeymonkeymonkey Mon 06-Oct-08 10:12:49

I would want my CM to tell me if I had accidently underpaid her.

muddleduck Mon 06-Oct-08 13:16:24

I agree with mmm.
I might easily underpay my CM and would def want to know. I know how hard you all work for your money grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now