Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au Pair Book

(9 Posts)
Jessie179 Fri 03-Oct-08 09:35:39

Hi All

I have an Italian Au Pair starting on Monday and I know its short notice but I have looked everywhere for a nice Au Pair book. One that explains about taking care of little ones, resources,etc. I am sure I saw one whilst searching for an Au Pair and now just cant find the website. I have a Au Pair welcome pack and because this is her first time I thought it would be nice buying a book. Any suggestions please.

Thanks

HarrietTheSpy Fri 03-Oct-08 13:22:04

I've never seen one but would be curious to know if such a thing exists too.

frannikin Fri 03-Oct-08 15:09:20

What to expect - nanny and babysitter handbook

It has thing like child development, safety and play BUT only covers ages 0-6. There's a very useful section in the back with information about the house and each child including favourite activites, foods, important routines, don't leave the house without X etc. There's also stuff on first aid and how to handle working in a private home.

Kathyis6incheshigh Fri 03-Oct-08 15:19:35

LOL - if it is as paranoid as the other 'What to expect' books I would have thought it would terrify the poor girl!

frannikin Fri 03-Oct-08 15:29:14

Nah it's not actually. Having said that I only bought it because it was heftily reduced and it had a list of useful questions in the back to ask parents that I babysit for stuff I wouldn't have otherwise considered (am glad in retrospect I did - "where do you keep the torch if the power goes off?" was surprisingly useful) but having read it it's pretty good. I'd imagine it's fairly comprehensive and helpful if you didn't have a clue, but can see why it might be considered scary!

It's definitely much better than the WTE books I've read anyway, although I avoided pregnancy & birth!

Kathyis6incheshigh Fri 03-Oct-08 15:36:30

It's a very good idea, anyway! Especially if you had someone who was young-ish and didn't have much practice with children.
Our au pair arrived last night, she's 27 and seems very level-headed - but I hadn't thought of showing her where we kept the torch, so thanks for that!

Jessie179 Sat 04-Oct-08 09:44:34

Hi Frannikin

Thanks for the information and that one looks very helpful but because I had to go out and Amazon guaranteed to deliver a book to me next day which arrived at 8:30am this morning I ended paying a lot for it. I just saw your book on Amazon and WHSmith for a very reasonable price.
www.amazon.co.uk/What-Expect-Babysitter-Nanny-Handbook/dp/1416502114.

I bought "Au Pairs are sent from Heaven" I read the reviews first and it was all great just only one I found was £22.
Book also contains stories for children, recepies, games you can play with them, how to deal with problems with children, list of medical problems and how to treat them, there are also tips and recommendations au-pair's free time, where to go, where to meet people, what places to visit on free weekends,
www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails-AuPairs+are+Sent+from+Heaven+-9781411673151.html

HarrietTheSpy Sat 04-Oct-08 13:28:29

Jessie
Have ordered what to expect. Can you let us know whether the second one is as good as it seems it might be?
x

HarrietTheSpy Sat 04-Oct-08 13:28:30

Jessie
Have ordered what to expect. Can you let us know whether the second one is as good as it seems it might be?
x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: