Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Registering a nanny

(5 Posts)
misspollysdolly Thu 02-Oct-08 23:14:47

I have been using a CM until now, but feel that changing to a nanny would be a better arrangement all round. Have found a nanny who can do the days, but she is not a registered nanny. The difficulty I face is that the majority of our childcare costs are covered by the tax credits we receive, but they only contribute towards the cost of 'registered' childcare providers. The girl I would like to employ isn't registered as she said it was quite costly, but would be happy to be so if someone else covered the cost.

Can anyone explain to me how you would go about registering a nanny? What does this mean in practical terms? Presumebly this would be with OFSTED? How much does it cost?

nbee84 Thu 02-Oct-08 23:34:02

She needs to have done -

Common Core Skills (courses through Tinies, MNT cost around £180+) If she has a recent qualification she may well have this already.

Paediatric First Aid (courses through local colleges, Tinies, St Johns - cost £60+)

Nanny Insurance (£60 per year - she should pay this herself)

Ofsted registration - £100 including crb (this may have gone up/changed since I did mine in July)

She needs to have the 1st 3 in place before sending off forms to Ofsted. Registration takes 4 - 12 weeks from sending off the forms to Ofsted.

woodstock3 Sat 04-Oct-08 19:52:54

it takes quite a while - or it did us, there seemed to be endless faffing and delays. so if you need the tax credits to continue (i was registering ours so that i could take advantage of a tax break scheme at work so while annoying that it took ages it wasnt critical) then i would look for somone who is already registered.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 04-Oct-08 20:05:07

take average of 2/3mths for all paperwork to come through and get ofsted no

MeanBeans Tue 07-Oct-08 20:00:07

You don't need to have done a recent Core Skills course. Mine did her NNEB 20 years ago, has done no further formal courses since, and was ofsted registered last month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now