Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Does this sound right to pay a nanny?

(12 Posts)
Herecomesthesciencebint Wed 01-Oct-08 21:31:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chipkid Wed 01-Oct-08 21:36:16

I paid our nanny-live out and out of London £7.00 per hour-a year ago-and she was very experienced. So £9.00 seems a fair offer to me

omega2 Wed 01-Oct-08 22:00:01

That sounds about right for this area

LittleDorrit Wed 01-Oct-08 22:07:35

I agree that £9 is more than reasonable.
From what I have heard, agencies often push for quite high salaries - I guess they want nannies to sign up with them, so they need to promise a reasonably high salary.

nannynick Wed 01-Oct-08 22:54:25

Nursery staff don't tend to be paid that well. £13-15,000 gross per year isn't unusual.

Nannying is different to working in a nursery. Being a nanny can be very isolating and is generally full-on all the time, no breaks. Not all nursery staff can cope with being a nanny - I know someone who lasted 2 weeks in a nanny job, before returning to working in nursery.

£9 gross seems on the high side to me. Would start negotiations lower. Slightly surprised that you have interviewed someone for a job, where that person hasn't asked what the salary was prior to the interview. Then again, maybe it' only me who wants to know how much a job is paying, before going for an interview.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 02-Oct-08 10:11:12

agree nick, i ALWAYS ask what the job is paying, as if it is not enough, then no point in me going and wasting my and their time

£9gross does seema lot, esp as she was prob being paid £7gross at nursery

salary does depend on area, age and esperience

weddingcake Thu 02-Oct-08 12:26:25

Don't want to sound cynical but a lot of agencies take a % of the agreed salary as their introduction fee so that could well be their motivation for suggesting you offer more.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 02-Oct-08 14:00:37

very true wedding cake

most of my agencies charge 4 to 5 weeks nett

so to place me as a fulltime nanny, would cost parents roughly 2k

Herecomesthesciencebint Fri 03-Oct-08 19:15:07

edam Fri 03-Oct-08 19:24:31

Make sure she understands the difference between gross and net - lots of nannies don't. Although having been a nursery manager, she should.

Herecomesthesciencebint Fri 03-Oct-08 19:32:57

nannynick Fri 03-Oct-08 19:38:55

That all sounds really good.
Nanny is getting £9828 per year gross, which may well have been similar to what they earned as a nursery manager (managers are not always paid that much more than other staff - perhaps £5k-£8k more full-time).
Using this calculator, cost to you as employer will be around £866 per month, assuming monthly pay and tax code 543. So roughly £9.52 per hour, including Employers NI.
Make sure contract states Gross salary - if agency is preparing contract check it very carefully, as sometimes Net figures can appear (especially in sections such as Overtime).
Holiday Entitlement - looks like your nanny would get 15.9 days leave per year (based on 1 November 2008 start date). Again check the contract carefully if agency is preparing it, as some agencies still seem to think holiday entitlement is 4 weeks (12 days in the case of a nanny working 3 days per week).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: