Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Renewing and ammeding hours for nanny

(12 Posts)
SunshineSmith Wed 01-Oct-08 16:09:09

Need advice on renewing contract for nanny.

I am at work don't remember the full details of her contract...bah!!

I think that her current contract stands at

Mon to Fri - 8am - 7pm
Net rate: £420
Hours p/w: 55
Per hour:7.6
Can't remember how many holis she;s got? but me thinks is tha ones established by law.

please note: we never do the whole 11 hours per day but it is what we draw in contract

Now by mutual agreement would like to cut hours.
Hubby and I have decide on pay rise.

Mon to Fri- tbc
Hours p/w: 40
Per hour: 8.5
Net Rate: 340
Plus all holis.

I somehow feel I have underpaid her a bit last year. Feel really guilty!
We have decided to raise her hourly rate and provide with a bonus for the great year we've had.

Can you provide your thoughts as if I've underpaid her?
Ah, by the way our dc is a 2year old.

Many thanks,

AtheneNoctua Wed 01-Oct-08 16:24:31

Is she live-in or out?

SunshineSmith Wed 01-Oct-08 16:25:38

Out

AtheneNoctua Wed 01-Oct-08 16:27:45

It's not a huge amount but I think fair, especially as the rate in net. So, atually you are paying her a lot more when you think about gross terms.

SunshineSmith Wed 01-Oct-08 16:32:20

Yes, we are paying her NI and taxes on top.
Which i think in total comes up to arround over £600 pw gross.

AtheneNoctua Wed 01-Oct-08 16:36:49

So, that's about £31k. Not bad really, especially if she is in her 20s. (No idea how old she is obviously)

lindseyfox Wed 01-Oct-08 16:55:45

i think that is fair, i personally charge £10 net an hr but then i am qualified childrens nurse and only nanny ad-hoc

SunshineSmith Wed 01-Oct-08 16:56:59

So, you don't think I've been underpaying... gosh, this Catholic guilt, attacking again....

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 01-Oct-08 17:11:22

nice to have a payrise £8.50 nett is fine

has nanny thought this through, she will be doing less hours (15ish), but obv going down in salary £80 a week - which is a lot over a month

but if she is happy, then seems fair, maybe 40hrs can be over 4 days so that nanny can earn more if she wants/needs to

SunshineSmith Wed 01-Oct-08 17:19:57

She has dictated the new hours over a 4 days period which really suit me.

We are delighted to have and she has been a wonder to have around.

We thought of the pay rise as if we kept the 7.6 per hour, she would only take home 304 net. Hence the payrise.

Many thanks for your input!

nannynick Wed 01-Oct-08 19:10:34

I do a 40 hour week over 4 days. I'm paid Gross, so doing some calculations, my Net pay is around the £300 per week mark.
Thus your £340 Net sounds about right, for an experienced nanny working in the South East (particularly London, where rates are a bit higher than I get in Berkshire/Surrey).

A word about Holidays. The entitlement has changed over recent years. Now that your nanny wants to do the hours over 4 days (is that right?), calculate how many days holiday your nanny can have using the Holiday Calculator.

SunshineSmith Wed 01-Oct-08 22:16:47

Yes, she suggested doing only 4 days a week and reducing hours a bit. Thanks nannynick for the link!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now