Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Can you give me a crash course explanation on paying a nanny?

(7 Posts)
Herecomesthesciencebint Mon 29-Sep-08 21:43:55

I am not understanding the agency and feel an idiot!

if the candidate wants to earn £7-8 per hour net then how much will that cost me gross to cover tax and national insurance? and is the nanny still responsible for her employee tax contribution also???

do I have to pay tax and NI still if requiring just a few hours a week ?

who do i contact to arrange this if i dont want the agency to do it for me?

Im completely green so please be gentle in any explanations!!

big thank yous. We are interviewing tomorrow and I need to know what they are asking me for!!

AtheneNoctua Mon 29-Sep-08 22:11:48

Agree a gross wage, especially as she/he is part time. Then take her tax out of that wage each month. There are several nanny paye companies (nannypaye.co.uk is one).

As a nanny employer you are just that: an employer. So remember that she/he is entitled to anything any other emplyee is entitled to (sick leave -- recommend you write SSP only in the contract), maternity/paternity, etc.

Get lots of advice before you settle on the dismissal clause. For example, what constitutes gross negligence and therefore is grounds for immediate dismissal.

That probably enough for now.

(BTW Agencies are evil)

Herecomesthesciencebint Mon 29-Sep-08 22:33:31

oh blimey! any idea where I can get a draft contract from?

jura Mon 29-Sep-08 22:38:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jura Mon 29-Sep-08 22:41:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nannynick Tue 30-Sep-08 08:50:08

So some calculations are possible, how many hours per week?
Do you have your employers pack yet from HMRC? If not, call the new employers helpline, number on www.hmrc.gov.uk to start the process.

Herecomesthesciencebint Wed 01-Oct-08 21:17:47

ok thanks all I think am starting to understand it. I do appreciate your responses. what a responsibility tho!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now