Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Questions about a 'Mothers helper'

(6 Posts)
strawberry Mon 28-Feb-05 10:06:03

We would like to get a 'Mothers helper'. DS is nearly 3 and new baby due in April. It would only be approx. 2 mornings per week and duties would include ironing and light housework (we have a cleaner). Also to look after children for short periods so I can have a bath etc.

I know if we had a nanny we would would be responsible for her tax, sick pay etc but where would we stand with this arrangement? I don't intend to leave the Mothers help with the children while I go out but do you think I should get a criminal record check and how? We will definitely get references. Anything else I should be aware of?

PhDMumof1 Tue 01-Mar-05 10:36:01

I registered with a nanny agency to get a MH as agency will do all the checks. If you are employing for short periods, you may not be liable for tax and benefits, but check with agency.

IME you need a little longer to find a MH as they are not so common. I also tried advertising in local post office and church noticeboards, with agency as back-up to do checks. These days, 99% of reputable MH / nannies / CM's are aware of the "check-up" requirements for full-time posts and should be open to having all the checks.

Good luck.

moongirl Thu 03-Mar-05 21:13:21

may not suit you but when dd was born i registered with our local college and had students on placement for 2 days a week for free, the "payment" is that i trained them to look after the kids. It was a bit hard sometimes because i felt very responsible for looking after the student at a time when i wasn't always sure what i was doing with a new baby and toddler but it was GREAT to have a spare pair of hands and someone that loved kids to sit and read to my toddler while i fed the baby etc. Just something to think about

pupuce Thu 03-Mar-05 21:17:19

Strawberry - do you know how much they charge ? I am curious...

Xena Thu 03-Mar-05 21:26:24

I would be intrested in how much they get paid. MD I have a student at the moment and would agree with what you said, my student is not much of a self starter but a great extra pair of hands and I will miss her when she is gone.

Yeshi Fri 04-Mar-05 00:52:39

Just thought I'd pop in and drop a line. Mother's Help pay greatly depends on the level of experience, the location, and duration of the job. For example, a typical hourly wage for a MH in K&C is usually higher than in say Camden.

My advice would be to check with your local agencies (bestcare.co.uk has a list of agencies and might be able to help) as they will be able to advise on the current going rates and possibly help you find what you're looking for. Also, as mentioned, many agencies do background checks and require interviews and references so if you're concerned about the nitty gritty, an agency might be the best way to go.

If you do not want to go through an agency, it would benefit you to make a list of priorities, in terms of what you want from your MH. These should include length of experience, any certifications, and how important these are. As a general rule, it's always best to interview your new help in person before hiring them. (I generally do a phone interview, in person interview, and then spend some time, unpaid, with the children to make sure things run smoothly.)

Good luck finding mother's help and congrats on the new baby.

-Yeshi

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now