Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Idea's needed to fill vacancies - Childminder

(29 Posts)
miamum Sun 27-Feb-05 20:15:22

Hi

Found this website by chance - so complete novice!

I am a registered childminder and have almost completed by quality assurance through the network, also a member of the NCMA.

Desperately looking for more ways of trying to fill vacancies.

I have advertised in local shops, Post offices etc, gone along to mother and toddler groups. Ensured my details updated with the Children's Info Service. As i am located near a large military college have advertised there.
Nothing seems to be working, just seems to be very quiet, other childminder in village also very quiet.

Anyone ave any idea's been like this for a long while now.

Oh and know it's not me as have glowing testimonials!!!

Fran1 Sun 27-Feb-05 20:19:10

What about advertising in schools? or the library?

If the others in the area are quiet, i guess you r just not in demand at the mo. You ought to move to London, big shortage of childminders and childcare fullstop here!

miamum Sun 27-Feb-05 20:24:09

Hi

Have one in local schools and Pre- school where my eldest goes. Teachers also more than happy to recommend me.

Must admit did not think of library about 4 miles away! - trouble with village life!!!

Other child minder moving soon so may get busier soon! - here's hoping

KatieMac Sun 27-Feb-05 20:56:49

Hi Miamum.....I know the problem - I'm really struggling at the moment too.

Is there a parish magazine, contact your local NCT, TAMBA (Twins & Mulitple Birth Ass), Health Visitors (prev refused to advertise me - new one does), church noticeboards (may have to go to church)

Are you in a very rural area - I am

Surestart keep promising me children (at £5 an hr) then the mums decide I'm too far away

Aimsmum Sun 27-Feb-05 21:00:05

Message withdrawn

KatieMac Sun 27-Feb-05 21:01:36

Love to Aimsmum - but only just feel settled here....oh and there that large half finished extension on the back...can't move 'til that's finished

Aimsmum Sun 27-Feb-05 21:06:29

Message withdrawn

ssd Mon 28-Feb-05 13:59:17

Hi Aimsmum, haven't you had any luck yet in getting someone?

What about trying to put up a notice on the Glasgow Uni noticeboard (I guess they must have one!). Maybe you could get a nice sensible student with hours to fill?

uwila Mon 28-Feb-05 14:20:32

What about targeting younger children? I think by the time you find toddlers in toddler groups, day care has been sorted for any mums planning to return to work. WHat about finding out where groups of ante-natal mums meet post birth? Maybe contact your local NCT and ask them to pass out your name? ~Are you registered on the ofsted site (note sure if that covers wales, or just england).

alison222 Mon 28-Feb-05 14:24:16

Would your health visitor be willing to reccommend you?

miamum Mon 28-Feb-05 18:46:32

Thanks so much for all the idea's

DD eldest is still only 4 but will class as 5 year old after Easter as will be attending 10 early year sessions.
DD youngest is 3 end of May and will be attending 5 early year sessions starting September.
So limited with what i can take!
Prospect of baby in a few months time that would sort out.

Just looking after lad same age as eldest 8 and half hours week (over two days) as he will start school at same time as eldest.

Having to sign on at the moment

miamum Mon 28-Feb-05 18:49:10

should have checked message before sending - see what i said about being novice!!!

I'm in a small village between Faringdon and Swindon (yes t is as ugly as they say!)if anyone knows the area!

uwila Mon 28-Feb-05 21:24:34

Miamum, you might even crash the antenatal threads her for whatever month will have say 6 month olds around the time you want to pick one up. I'm not really sure what the average age is that the mums return to work. Most nurseries accept around 3 or 4 months. So, I guess people go back around then??

OR, check out other childminders in and around your area (just write ofsted and they can give you a list) contact them ans see if they want to get together for cofee or something. You might find one of them knows someone who's looking for a childminder... basically network among other local childminders.

As a parent I definitely like childminders who hang out with other childminders because they always have cover for when they are unavailable. And also cause it means my kid will have other kids to play with.

uwila Mon 28-Feb-05 21:25:13

OMG, did I say "crash"????

I meant visit!

KatieMac Mon 28-Feb-05 21:41:59

Do keep confident Miamum.....after nearly 3.5 months of advertising - I got an enquiry today after asking an advertising guy to help me with my ads...

There is light "just around the corner"

Good Luck

miamum Tue 01-Mar-05 18:43:18

Thanx for all your comments and support.

Only one other childminder in same sort of area (my old one!) which i still see regularly. The other childminder is about 7 miles away and has just started advertising again in same places as me (think a bit off actually i don't advertise in her area!!!) Do holiday cover for the other childminder (thank heavens would not have been able to pay car tax otherwise)

Have work during Easter holiday for one almost full time.

Saw health visitor today who is very pro childminders as opposed to nurseries - has someone in mind child coming out of nusery as not able to deal with heath issues!?

Also very involved with local childminding assoc and have been asked to act as a GEM (mentor for newly registering childminders)

Sorry to ramble so much - so good to chat!

MaryP0p1 Tue 01-Mar-05 19:06:54

Have you spoken to your health visitor and the local school secretary. Maybe put an ad in the school newsletter. Good luck

KatieMac Tue 01-Mar-05 21:20:32

Oh Lucky you being asked to mentor. I'm a real advocat (sp?) of that. I'm trying to get my local Ass to do buddying/mentoring it would really have helped me at the start.

I've got my new parents coming round tomorrow....I hate that first interview. Too many things to remember

miamum Wed 02-Mar-05 07:12:59

Good luck with the parents!!!

I think the mentoring is something that is going to come out more. Already being done in Oxfordshire and Wiltshire (not just Swindon i think)

I must admit i was a little suprised to be asked but i suppose i ask a lot of questions and get myself known (nice way of saying i come across as confident and a little gobby - not the real me at all!)

All the best to everyone else who is not as busy as they would like to be!

ayla99 Sat 05-Mar-05 14:29:19

Just a couple more ideas I've seen posted on other boards:

Notice boards or flyers on counters:
swimming pools, doctors & dentist surgeries, toy libraries, leisure centres, schools, large companies (staff rooms, hr department or reception areas), supermarkets, Baby changing facilities in shops, soft play areas/anywhere that does kids parties

Flyers:
houses with 4 sale/sold signs up, cars parked in parent & child spaces.

Search the internet for websites local to your area.

Parish/local/church/school newsletters.

The one think I hate about this job is that customers are like buses. When you need one no-one rings, when you're full a load come along!

Good luck!

jampots Sat 05-Mar-05 14:31:40

what about GP surgeries?

miamum Sat 05-Mar-05 19:38:42

Thanks for all the help and idea's

Have a prospective meeting next week and only few doors down from me. She's in her last week of work and i think needs to get back to work as soon as after.

I have also made a tentative enquiry to NCT as they are having big sale in April and usually give bag with info out. Asked if i put put advert in - i would give donation in return. Probably scared them off not received response yet been a few days .......

Certainly follow a few more idea's up - just don't want to look too desperate (which of course i am!!!!)

KatieMac Sat 05-Mar-05 20:46:09

Good Luck Miamum (I have a rep for being gobby too)

miamum Sun 06-Mar-05 09:08:07

Thanks - will keep you updated!

blodwen Sun 06-Mar-05 17:40:38

My local CM group have just had Tshirts printed. Our group logo and 'I'm with my childminder' on the front. We have all bought them and put them on at soft play centres etc etc. They are bright yellow so make it easy to spot the children with us quickly, and seems to be great advertising! Lots of parents asking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now