Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would you hire me?

(18 Posts)
Lucy87 Wed 24-Sep-08 22:29:15

Hi,

I am an Australian nanny, and part time law/developmental psychology student. I presently live in Australia but previously have lived in the UK where I worked as a live in Nanny in London, and worked through various agencies as an emergency/temp nanny for 2 years.

I will be in London over December - March of this year, and was thinking of possibly working as a temp mothers help / nanny in order to fund some weekend travels. I will be coming to stay with my partner of 3 years, so I will have a stable base in NW London, but would be willing to travel. I will have a tourist visa, so obviously I will only be able to consider cash in hand arrangements, but am flexible as to the length/hours/duties!

I have almost 5 years experience, glowing references (including from my current Australian employers who have so kindly given me this time off to travel), can drive confidently in London, am super flexible!

So, I'm aware of all the usual places to look for temp jobs being advertised, but wanted to test the waters to see if anyone would be interested in an arrangement like this? Is it feasible?

I'd really appreciate feedback / your perspective!

Lucy

1dilemma Wed 24-Sep-08 22:39:19

No I wouldn't TBH (I don't have a nanny currently) time period is too short for me, and probably too short for mat leave cover for most too!
You might get a succession of temp jobs but you might also want to check with the agencies first I've heard that the market is saturated and nanny salaries are dropping!

fridayschild Thu 25-Sep-08 12:44:55

This would have worked for me 4 years ago - except for the cash in hand bit. I don't pay nannies cash in hand.

My nanny left when DS2 was born - she went on maternity leave - and I was looking for help for my 6 months' maternity leave. My local nanny agency found me a mother's help for 25 hours a week. I then recruited a perm trained nanny when I went back to work.

I think most people take more than 6 months' maternity leave now though, so I don't know if the 4 - 5 months you mention would be long enough.

BlueGreen Thu 25-Sep-08 13:08:34

Hi Lucy,

As you are aware, you could contact with agencies as I`m sure they have positions which are suitable for you.

And the other thing is you could apply for temporarry sales asistance position as there will be a lot especially in Dec.

Good Luck.

1dilemma,

I dont know where you live but the place i live in (London) nanny salaries no way of dropping!

MeanBeans Thu 25-Sep-08 14:59:15

Shame but I believe employing someone with a tourist visa is illegal and that reputable agencies might not like it either.

imananny Thu 25-Sep-08 15:37:45

sure someone would employ you - a lot of people on gumtree dont seem to want to pay tax and ni (but not all wink)- but it is illegal

MeanBeans Thu 25-Sep-08 15:52:07

I think the penalties for employing you can be quite high, although they may not enforce it...

"If we find you knowingly employing illegal migrant workers, you can face tough penalties including an unlimited fine and/or a maximum of two years' imprisonment. (This is under the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006.) We have a system of civil penalties for employers who employ illegal migrant workers because their recruitment and employment practices are negligent, or not careful enough."

Lucy87 Thu 25-Sep-08 21:35:24

I am aware of the legalities of it and I'm not particularly pleased about it. However, this trip comes as a bit of a surprise, so I've not had much time to save up!

I am not really after a full time job as such, I'd be more pleased with after school pick up, or 1,2,3 days a week!

Ho Hum, I'll see how I go! Thanks for advice.

HarrietTheSpy Fri 26-Sep-08 11:35:56

MeanBeans
Ozzies can work here under the Working Holiday Maker Programme. Lucy you would need to look at the terms of that and see whether you qualify.

MeanBeans Fri 26-Sep-08 11:46:07

HTS
Yes I know. I was just commenting on the "tourist visa" which doesn't allow you to work, even for no pay.

I'm sure casual arrangements are possible. Good luck.

MrsRecycle Fri 26-Sep-08 13:24:40

Hi Lucy - you could just be the person we are looking for - we live in North West London as well. Unfortunately, I cannot CAT you (contact another Talker) - can you change your settings so I can do this? Or else feel free to CAT me.

Lucy87 Fri 26-Sep-08 15:01:13

Hi MrsRecycle - could you please email me on luce_b at hotmail dot com

Lucy87 Fri 26-Sep-08 15:11:16

Also - I see you live in Ruslip, we're in Harrow - ever so close!

lemonstartree Fri 26-Sep-08 17:17:47

Lucy I would you sound just what I would like !

Lucy87 Fri 26-Sep-08 23:49:34

Hi Lemonstartree. Please feel free to email me also on luce_b at hotmail dot com if you'd like to chat. Lucy

1dilemma Sat 27-Sep-08 11:07:14

oh I missed the bit about CIH sorry I too wouldn't do that, I'm guessing you've allready used your work visa if you've done 2 yrs here allready.

I'm in London too bluegreen, as I said I don't have a nanny currently, I got it from the paper/internet from the way things are going nanny salaries can only go down, the market is pretty saturated round here (everyones' salaries are only going to go down I'm not singling out nannies I've had subinflation pay rises for about the last 3 years)

but there again we all know what journalists are like wink

Lucy87 Sat 04-Oct-08 01:51:08

Anyone?

Quattrocento Sat 04-Oct-08 03:22:00

Nope, I wouldn't hire you.

I also think you shouldn't be touting for potential hirers - openly advertising the fact that you want to flout both the immigration and taxation laws of this country.

<prim emoticon>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now