Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

maternity nurse

(11 Posts)
flatscreentv Wed 24-Sep-08 13:51:18

how do you actually become a maternity nurse?

do you have to go to college or do a course or can having experience be enough?

poshtottie Wed 24-Sep-08 17:46:40

Experience is the most important and you won't get that elusive first job without it.
I did do a course with Maternity nanny training which is held over three days. It is well recognised with agencies though I think there is another one called Nest aswell.

nannynick Wed 24-Sep-08 17:59:58

I've done the MNT course, so I could say that I am a maternity nanny (note: avoid using the word Nurse, as that may imply you have medical training).
I'd love to know what parents expect a maternity nanny to have in terms of training and experience.

poshtottie Wed 24-Sep-08 18:07:39

I'm not comfortable with the term either but the job as always been known as this, I soppose the same as nursery nurse.

phraedd Wed 24-Sep-08 19:56:25

I to refer to myself as a maternity nanny.

I don't have any formal qualifications but as a nanny I worked in families that had babies born whilst being there which gave me the all important new born experience.

16 years on, I am also a mum to 3 children myself which also helps new mums to have confidence in my abilities.

RachieB Wed 24-Sep-08 22:32:58

I am a Mum of 2 and am a Nanny
I havent done any specific maternity courses.

I have had a few maternity roles, and have gotten the job/s over some very qualified people! The parents liked the fact I have my own children / lots of newborn experience
and not at all concerned that i didnt have mat quals,so long as i had CRB,first aid and refs etc

frannikin Thu 25-Sep-08 17:29:09

Lots of jobs with newborns was enough but the MNT course really helped me get 'better' jobs. Also as I'm very young to be doing maternity work (22) so for me the qualification is invaluable when dealing with agencies - most probably wouldn't hae registered me without it.

flatscreentv Thu 25-Sep-08 20:06:24

thanks for all your replies, I have 10 years experience but no qualifications,just wanted to know if you thought that was ok??
Is the mnt the only recognised course? Im in Aberdeen and Reading is quite far!

frannikin Fri 26-Sep-08 13:47:10

The other recognised course is NEST but that's Amersham, so possibly even worse from Aberdeen! I heard MNT were looking into a distance learning version but that was rather on the grapevine and I'm not sure what the situation is there. Possibly call them up and see - they're very helpful!

lindseyfox Fri 26-Sep-08 19:31:24

I think the title should be maternity nanny as maternity nurse sometimes is whats used to describe a qualified nurse who works on a maternity ward (not a midwife).

I use the term maternity nanny or night nanny as i dont do days now although do some weekends.

I am a qualified childrens nurse and worked on childrens wards and nursed lots of newborns and did some time in special care baby units too, then did some maternity nurse work days only with twins and have since night nannied for both twins and singles.

experience is def the key and many parents like the fact I am a qualified childrens nurse.

princesslina Sat 27-Sep-08 14:54:11

HI
I did the nest course it was brilliat and I would highly recommend it. Instead of Maternity Nurse they use Post Natal Carer or PNC which I think is quite appropriate as it is exactly what we do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now