Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How big a bedroom would an au pair need?

(14 Posts)
Northernwitch Tue 23-Sep-08 20:43:31

We're just thinking about the possibility of getting an au pair - but only have a small single spare bedroom. It has a television, wardrobe, bed and blanket box - but no room for anything else. Would this be too small?

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Tue 23-Sep-08 21:44:46

Sounds like there is room for everything s/he would need so don't envisage a problem.

Anna8888 Tue 23-Sep-08 21:48:35

How many square metres is it?

If her room is very small she won't want to spend a great deal of time in it, so she will spend more time with the family.

lune77 Tue 23-Sep-08 21:54:31

i have the same question.. we have a single bedroom... with a chest of drawers , a tv, a bed... it is about 10 feet by 7 feet... when you want to invite someone to live with you, you'd like them to be happy with their room!!!!

Twims Tue 23-Sep-08 21:57:51

When I lived in at a temp job I had a room, with a sink opposite the door, with a small chest of drawers next to it then a bed next to that, and a built in a wardrobe, could just about sit down on the floor. But had us of playroom, for the evenings etc.

gooseegg Tue 23-Sep-08 21:59:18

No problem with a small room as long as it is clean and cosy.

I always email photos of their room to prospective au pairs so they can see it isn't huge.

There is wireless internet, a TV, comfy cushions on the bed so she can use it like a sofa, and soft lighting.

No complaints so far.

cheapskatemum Tue 23-Sep-08 22:00:57

In my experience, if AP is happy with family, size of room is not an issue. I believe they must have somewhere they can study, tho' as learning English is part of the AP deal. Is there a desk/table elsewhere in the house they could use for homework etc?

harpomarx Tue 23-Sep-08 22:01:58

I had a teeny room when I was an au pair, can't say it bothered me. It was in Spain and must have been designed for a live in maid or something, cos it was right off the kitchen.

I was nearly always out, so the room wasn't that important. A little desk would be nice, for studying, writing home etc.

harpomarx Tue 23-Sep-08 22:02:36

I had a teeny room when I was an au pair, can't say it bothered me. It was in Spain and must have been designed for a live in maid or something, cos it was right off the kitchen.

I was nearly always out, so the room wasn't that important. A little desk would be nice, for studying, writing home etc.

blueshoes Tue 23-Sep-08 22:13:03

Agree with other posters about small rooms and aupairs. Our room is not much bigger with a leettle fireplace and just enough space for a single bed, small low table, a tallboy chest of drawers and wardrobe. I give them a airer thing that goes over the radiator to dry their clothes.

Whilst compact, I think it is pretty, clean and neat with good storage and even a nice view of the garden. If I was flatsharing, I would have been pleased with it. My aupairs have never complained.

The good thing about a small room is that you don't get too many of her friends crashing over on weekends. They tend to go to the bigger rooms grin.

Northernwitch Tue 23-Sep-08 22:28:27

Yes it's probably about 10' X 7' but we could put a desk in there instead of a blanket box - there's quite a lot of communal space downstairs with 2 tv's and a computer - thanks all feel much better about taking this forward now!

blueshoes Tue 23-Sep-08 22:37:38

northern, agree the desk is useful. I bought underbed storage (2 boxes) for an extra duvet to store there - in case of sleepovers.

jurahasfoundthehiggsboson Tue 23-Sep-08 23:18:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Weegle Wed 24-Sep-08 07:02:32

Our AP's room is 10'x7' and it is ideal for her. Single bed (with camp bed under for friends), big inbuilt cupboard, bedside table, small table and chair (for studying), a counter with TV/DVD, and a freestanding wardrobe. Make it cosy with nice furnishings and it's fine. They don't need much storage as they will be limited on what they can bring. In fact we use about 50% of the storage in her room (she suggested that) as our loft is full and I need somewhere to store my gradually accumulating Christmas presents! Both last AP's have said they love their room, so I think it's fine. They could be in a deluxe suite with bathroom etc and have a mean-spirited family so I console myself with that!

If our move goes ahead though we will be living in a complete dump that needs refurbishing - she didn't sign up to that so we will probably give her the least awful room to start! It'll be bigger but decorated to suit the 1950s!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now