Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

need an aupair

(15 Posts)
lune77 Tue 23-Sep-08 20:13:44

i have two little boys 3 and 2.. i am looking for an aupair in the sw of london... is it better to go through an agency or put up a notice in the local village hall/library???? has anyone had an experience finding someone without going through an agency??

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Tue 23-Sep-08 21:47:56

We used to live in Wandsworth and the windows of the shops on Bellevue Road were stuffed with adverts from au pairs looking for work or parents looking for au pairs so I would definitely give that route a go. Alternatively, we have had success with a few au pair websites. I have tried an agency but got so peed off with them sending details of au pairs who never came anywhere close to my "essential requirements" list. Check out Gum Tree too and consider putting an advert on there.

Good luck!

lune77 Tue 23-Sep-08 22:00:57

thanks for your advice, will be keeping my eyes and ears open.. some of the agencies charge around 400 to 500 pounds and then what if it doesnt work out, that's 500 pounds down the drain.. although i am a firm believer in the goodness of people but you hear some not so encouraging stories... what does one do??!

lune77 Tue 23-Sep-08 22:01:07

thanks for your advice, will be keeping my eyes and ears open.. some of the agencies charge around 400 to 500 pounds and then what if it doesnt work out, that's 500 pounds down the drain.. although i am a firm believer in the goodness of people but you hear some not so encouraging stories... what does one do??!

lune77 Tue 23-Sep-08 22:01:59

lune77 Tue 23-Sep-08 22:04:22

oops sent that three times.. the net seems to be acting up!blush

cheapskatemum Tue 23-Sep-08 22:07:18

That was exactly my experience the last (& final) time I used an agency. Many APs want to live/work in London so I'm sure you'll find one soon. I've used greataupairs and aupairworld.

DadInsteadofMum Tue 23-Sep-08 22:10:05

There are several threads on here about getting an au pair (and the perils). Have recruited twice through au pair world and also advertised on newaupair. I struggled to recruit because I live in a village, they all want to go to London - you should have no trouble and can probably be very picky!

TurkishDeelite Tue 23-Sep-08 22:13:29

Aupairworld.com is quite good, and I would recommend Slovak or Swedish au pairs. I would not recommend Turkish au pairs. Also you can check out and advertise in gumtree.co.uk, which is free.

TurkishDeelite Tue 23-Sep-08 22:16:08

Agencies, in my opinion, are a rip off. They used to be good and more reasonable in the past and I did use them, but all they do nowadays (my experience) is send you loads of files of random girls, without really taking into account your requirements and charge a fortune!

lune77 Tue 23-Sep-08 23:36:16

hi is there any particular reason why you dont suggest turkish aupairs??

lune77 Tue 23-Sep-08 23:42:36

this friend of mine got her aupair through a nanny she knew... which was great because it was through a recomendation, she's had the aupair for 2 years now and is sooo very happy with her.. wish i had that luck!! these days she is away for holiday so i'll have to wait till she gets back and find out if her aupair can suggest someone...

Weegle Wed 24-Sep-08 07:07:52

I second aupairworld online - doesn't cost much and because you do the leg work it means you get a much better feel for the AP before making a decision. We've had two successes from there, one disaster - but I had queries about her before she came and I should have gone with my gut instinct rather than desperation because I needed someone.

NewTeacher Wed 24-Sep-08 08:47:39

try abacus aupair agency their fee is £230 and I've used them twice the were very helpful and found me another aAP when the 2nd one didnt work out.

They are based somewhere down south but place AP's all over.

Speak to a lady called Debbie very helpful.

Tried APworld got loads of responses but when you reply back no one responds so I think there are a lot of timewasters on there too..

jurahasfoundthehiggsboson Wed 24-Sep-08 08:49:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now