Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is it safe to get a babysitter from internet?

(13 Posts)
TheShipsCat Tue 23-Sep-08 12:33:38

Hi,
I need a babysitter for this weekend, as our babysitter is getting married. I don't really want to join an agency as its so expensive - and we already have a regular sitter. I've found someone on netmums - but is it safe? Howe do I check? Is it better just to pay the agency money?

Thanks for any advice...

WideWebWitch Tue 23-Sep-08 12:34:46

I think it's safe IF you use Sitters as thy're a reputable agency but someone you don't know? No, it isn't safe. Either don't go out, find someone you know and trust or pay the extra to join Sitters.

TheShipsCat Tue 23-Sep-08 12:37:33

mm, thought that was probably the answer...

beeny Tue 23-Sep-08 12:45:12

I found a retired nanny on gum tree she is amazing and my 2 year old ds loves her.I rang up people she provided names of.

JenniPenni Tue 23-Sep-08 12:47:46

I did a babysitting job for someone from netmums once (don't do this anymore as am far too busy childminding). I emailed her my childminding portfolio, liability insurance form, ofsted registration form, CRB check form etc. so she could see I was dinkum! We chatted on the phone too. We met at her place on the babysitting night and it went very well!

phraedd Tue 23-Sep-08 14:44:22

interview them and check their refs.

Do they hold public liability insurance, have a current CRB and first aid?

If everything about them sounds good and their refs are great then why not?

nannynick Tue 23-Sep-08 18:37:36

Yes, as you are going to know far more about that person, than if you had someone come from an agency (where you rely on the agency doing the checks).

If the babysitter works in childcare already (which I would suspect they do), then you can ask to see various official documents:

Enhanced CRB Disclosure (CRB Check)
Qualification Certificate(s)
First Aid Training Certificate

You will also most likely be able to read written references/testimonials, plus the babysitter should be able to give you phone contact details for a few parents for whom they already do work.

You should always meet someone prior to them babysitting - go on your gut instincts when meeting them. See how they interact with your children.

However, given the situation you are in, it may be easier to use an agency on this occasion - as there is not much time to arrange to meet the person you have found on netmums. Also that person may not be very happy to go through the meet&greet process to find that it is a one-off booking. Whereas with an agency, you could pay their membership fee each year knowing that when your regular sitter wasn't available, you have the backup of being able to use an agency sitter.

SaintRiven Tue 23-Sep-08 18:39:24

is it just me who only let trusted friends babysit my kids?
An agency would probably be safest, I use one for respite but they are always in sight.

hifi Tue 23-Sep-08 19:41:50

some of us have no other option riven.

imananny Tue 23-Sep-08 19:42:06

sitters didnt even check my ref and gave me famillies to bs for - this was before i found out what crap rates of pay they had, so i didnt go in the end

i alon netmums and I get a lot of work through my ads - as long as you meet them, check their refs and you are happy then use them

navyeyelasH Tue 23-Sep-08 22:15:16

Sitters is the WORST (followed by safehands!) babysitting agency out there in my experience. They didn't check ANY of my references and have not supplied me with a photo ID card so I could send a friend to a job if I wanted who obviously would have none of my experience/quals!

I personally think finding someone yourself and checking them out yourself makes much more sense as you know it's done!

I have a babysitting check-list here of info to leave the babysitter when you go out (contact numbers etc) and also check-list of what to ask/check in potential child carers if anyone wants it?

PS> I work as nanny/baby sitter and am not a parent.

Where are you theshipscat maybe one of us could babysit/reccommend someone?

SaintRiven Wed 24-Sep-08 08:19:01

we don't have anyone who can babysit hifi so we just don't go out.

BlueGreen Wed 24-Sep-08 09:39:33

I would check everything(CRB, Refs etc.) and interview her myself. Wouldnt use Sitters or any other agency to be honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now