Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Term time CM place - question

(6 Posts)
KayTeeD Tue 23-Sep-08 11:33:50

I am due to start back at work in Jan. DS will be 9months.

As a teacher I only need a termtime place. What is the usual situation for payment in this case? Do all CMs charge a retainer during the hols and what would that be?

Thanks

JenniPenni Tue 23-Sep-08 11:37:19

Some childminders ONLY work during term time, preferring to spend the hols with their kids alone. Many childminders off full-time care - through hols too.

A standard retainer is 50% of usual cost, but here again, childminders decide this for themself. Best thing is to contact your local minders and see what their own policy is regards this. It is VERY difficult to fill a place during hols only sometimes, hence the need for some kind of retainer.

KayTeeD Tue 23-Sep-08 11:48:31

Thanks, JenniPenni. Wanted to have some kind of idea before contacting individual minders. Am starting to compile a list of questions I want ask when I do contact them.

Is the cost a of CM about the same as a nursery place? - I've always thought I would go to a CM but there seem to be a lack of them in my local area.

poppymay Tue 23-Sep-08 12:04:42

I do term time only contracts and don't charge a retainer during the holidays as it suits me not to work! I think it all depends on the childminder whether they charge or not.

JenniPenni Tue 23-Sep-08 12:49:35

I am cheaper and a lot more flexible than my local nurseries, but there again, it's best to do your own homework, as areas differ.

sleepychunky Tue 23-Sep-08 15:04:18

My CM only works during term-time as her husband is deputy head of the local 6th form college and they like their holidays together (she is an older lady with grown-up children). DS goes to her 2 days a week in term time. We have to pay her 2 weeks holiday pay per year, one in the summer and one at Easter, but when she doesn't work we don't pay her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now