Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club:Tuesday Staff Room - How I am missing childminding, I'll be back soon

(17 Posts)
KatyMac Tue 23-Sep-08 08:06:55

At least I hope I will

I hate working & I miss my children - won't be long now

eleanorsmum Tue 23-Sep-08 08:28:41

morning katy, chin up and hugs coming your way.

Met up with looney again yesterday - lovely to see you again hun. Joshua is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lovely! keep doing what you're doing and i'm sure as they all grow you'll find things easier.

We're doing leaf printing this morning and then toddlers this pm.

anyone got any ideas for autumnal cooking i can do with lo's?

have good day all

aGalChangedHerName Tue 23-Sep-08 08:35:17

Oh i missed this,have you given up KM?

KatyMac Tue 23-Sep-08 09:00:49

No - I took a temp job so I could afford to pay a staff member redundancy sad

But I'll be back soon

SammyK Tue 23-Sep-08 09:15:58

Hi all I am stuck in as it's pouring it down! Hate not being able to drive. sad

Got my quote back for new fabric parts for my marco sky - over £100!! shock So won't be replacing them! So it's either a "new" (second hand) double, or use my maclaren and buggy pod until sept 09. I only need a double 3 mornings a week so that may be my best option.

Arfa Tue 23-Sep-08 10:21:04

SammyK: Have you tried Freecycle?

Freecycle allows people to offer or request almost anything as long as the transaction is completely free. Freecycle works as a series of local email groups and you sign up to the group that operates in your area. To receive emails you also need to open a Yahoo! Groups account, but if you are a member of ukchildminders or UKRegisteredChildminders you will already have an account. You can also set your account up to use your regular email address as for emailing.

There are some rules as to what you can offer and there are some etiquette rules you need to follow, but apart from that it's very simple. My wife got a lie back pram that had been hardly used and was almost like new so it's well worth joining if only to clear your house of unwanted stuff.

BradfordMum Tue 23-Sep-08 11:52:29

Oh Katy, I had no idea. I saw you on the TV and thought what a great ambassador for childminding you are.
Have you thought about contacting NCMA to see if they have any vancancies? With someone like you on our side, Childminders would do much better.

Sally xx

KatyMac Tue 23-Sep-08 12:13:30

Thanks Bradfordmum - I felt very selfconsious

I regave my notice in today & I will finish on Fri 3rd - so back to work (properly) on Monday 6th <<Thank goodness>>

vInTaGeVioLeT Tue 23-Sep-08 13:39:39

wow - i think i've missed a lot!?

i'm back c/minding after a short gap between old and new mindees - ATM i'm only working 2.5 days a week and just minding a baby - it's great {obviously would be better if i earned more but i felt my own kids were missing out with me working so much}

quick question - how much should i be doing for EYFS? ATM i'm keeping a daily diary for baby which travels from here to there daily , should i keep a book at home just for observations? any advice apprieciated smile

looneytune Tue 23-Sep-08 13:59:31

Hi all

Katy - hope the rest of the time flies by and you're back with the kiddies

EllieM - thanks for coming over yesterday, was nice and calm with the 2 mindees napping so you probably wondered what all the fuss was about lol. Today has been soooooooo much better without any group and mindee was only crying when tired or something which was fine. Shame JJ is having a poorly tummy day but at least I've only had them both crying at the same time for a short time. Both in bed atm I'm sooooo envy of your new car!!!!

SammyK - I'd second the freecycle idea - you wouldn't believe what great stuff you can pick up. Dh is picking us up a swing for baby as I'm hoping that will help as he's not one for laying on the playgym and he gets frustrated a lot.

everyone else - hello

Right, best go make some lunch whilst I'm child free. At least I don't have the school run this afternoon - ds1 is going home with a friend and I'm going to get to theirs for 3.45pm (as it's a bit much for her to have both boys on her own as pg and not a childminder like me so not used to it)

KatyMac Tue 23-Sep-08 18:20:58

Well looks like Katymac stuffed up again

Parent was signing tonight to start settling in next week

She suddenly wanted 10 hrs on friday

I said I could do it but could we do some settling in tomorrow & Thursday?

So I then got a phone call saying don't bother sad

i do think settling in is important

nannynick Tue 23-Sep-08 19:23:32

Oh KatyMac, sorry to hear things are not going too well. I agree with you though that expecting a child to go somewhere for 10 hours without previously meeting the carer is asking for trouble. A couple of short settling in periods (or meetings in the case of a nanny) does help the child settle. It is hard to stick by your principles, but you've been doing this long enough to know what works, and what doesn't.

I'm feeling rather tired. Have been off for last 2 weeks, so today was first day of having to get up at 06:30. I'll get back in the swing of things soon enough.

KatyMac Wed 24-Sep-08 17:16:18

Thanks Nick - sorry you are feeling ropey too

TheConfusedOne Wed 24-Sep-08 21:10:11

That's it.

Last day of summer term and I am finishing!

DH has been offered a job he will betaking, on leaving the Army, and I will be joining Mo, in the great unwashed place, known as school!

elkiedee Wed 24-Sep-08 21:15:34

What a PITA Katy but that job was never going to work out, I'm saying that as a parent - I went back to work full time at the start of March but I'd taken DS for settling in sessions previously and couldn't imagine leaving him for the day without having done that.

KatyMac Wed 24-Sep-08 22:07:04

Oh TCO - are you sure?

Thanks Elkiedee - it's all about priorities isn't it?

TheConfusedOne Wed 24-Sep-08 22:19:48

yep Katy decided my time has come grin

Actually with leaving here (earlier than expected) have decided I want my home back to ourselves, I will be 50 by then and had enough of all the EYFS and such, plus health is getting worse and just feel going back to being a TA, without all the planning and such, plus being able to rest more with the longer holidays (for the last 10 years have taken 3 weeks year) will be better for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now