Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I've just bumped my car, can anyone advise?

(11 Posts)
SimpleAsABC Mon 22-Sep-08 20:06:42

Pulled up at a roundabout and stopped, foot slipped off pedal, car stalled and jumped forward bumping into the car in front.

There isn't a mark on my car, no cracks or scratches on or around my bumper.

Looking at the exterior of the other car there was a slight chip, no other visible damage though.

When the man got home he phoned me up and said that he'd really struggled to get his boot open. I went to see the car and now he's saying that I've burst all the inside of the boot (I was in such a state I hardly looked).

What would you do now? I really didn't want to go through my insurance but I'm totally skint at the mo, will it up my insurance that much? Putting it in for a new quote on the tesco site it comes up not that much more than right now (a couple of pounds per month).

The other car was a w plate, not sure if that makes any difference.

My dad knows someone who is a mechanic and spray painter so I'll get a professional opinion tomorrow but I would really appreciate all your words of wisdom at the moment, I feel really awful.

lucykate Mon 22-Sep-08 20:14:32

as you bumped the other car from behind, i would put it in the hands of your insurance company in case he decides to go ahead with a whiplash claim.

SimpleAsABC Mon 22-Sep-08 20:25:59

he was a wee old person though, i really don't think that is what he'll do iykwim.

you could be right but that wasn't the impression i got at all!

SillyMillysMummy Mon 22-Sep-08 20:33:52

if there is something bent that means the boot wont open it is likely to mean the car needs jigging, will be expensive, defo go through insurance


SillyMillysMummy Mon 22-Sep-08 20:34:00

if there is something bent that means the boot wont open it is likely to mean the car needs jigging, will be expensive, defo go through insurance


SimpleAsABC Mon 22-Sep-08 20:35:31

boot is open now, but with difficulty. will let you know how it goes tomorrow. if it needs to go through insurance then so be it, that's why i've got it eh?!

nannyL Mon 22-Sep-08 21:01:44

definitely just call insurance and tell them

that is what you pay your insurance for

changingsoon Mon 22-Sep-08 22:01:45

if its quite an old car the insurance will prob write it off. hapend to my old car when hardly had a mark on it. its better for ins company.

imananny Mon 22-Sep-08 23:51:07

accidents happen,no one was hurt and thats why we pay insurance

if a w reg, car wont be worth much and could be written off, and therefore owner wont get much for it, and will probably be very pissed off as what he will get for car wont he poss wont be able to buy something similar

yes your insurance will go up, and check to see what your excess is, as if £300 then might be worth paying for damage yourself (if boot can be fixed) rather than go through insurance, lose your ncb and next year have a hefty increase

SimpleAsABC Tue 23-Sep-08 19:52:37

well, heres a wee update!

according to the guy who looked at the car this morning the repairs would cost 500, but when i spoke to the car owner they said the guy had said 800... i spoke to another garage (the mechanic who owns it does all of the work for my mum and dad's car as his garage is literally next door to their shop) who was really shocked that they could be suggesting such an amount based on what happened and the fact that there isn't a mark on my car.

so tomorrow he's coming to see the other car and give me a quote.

what a palava!

imananny Tue 23-Sep-08 21:52:32

sounds like guy is trying to pull a fast one

doubt if his w reg car is worth £800

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: