Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

After-school help needed - getting desperate (NW London) - advice, ideas?

(6 Posts)
SimonSaysSo Mon 22-Sep-08 18:14:45

We need someone to help us pick up our children from school / nursery and look after them at our house approx 4-7pm each day.

This could suit a student (especially one training in childcare)

This could suit a mum whose kids have left home

We DID have a series of live-in mothers' helps / au pairs / nannies but we got tired of the lack of space (we had to forego our front room for them).

It is proving hard to find someone who is the dream candidate (in terms of qualifications and references) but we have a few candidates who kinda fit the bill.

Has anyone got any tips regarding minimum expectations in terms of references, childcare qualifications, first aid, CRB,

Should I be worried for example, that the woman we are talking to, is planning on leaving her young daughter with her elder son, to come and look after ours.

What are the implications re car insurance if we add her to our, insurance in the household etc

Finally, can anyone recommend an agency that could help us - not sure if I can face another round of Gumtree searching..

thanks
Worried Dad

nannynick Mon 22-Sep-08 20:58:06

My advice is not to be too picky about qualifications. Aim for someone who likes children, who can cook, who could help with homework. The more picky you are, the less candidates you will have.

SimonSaysSo Mon 22-Sep-08 21:34:08

Thanks Nanny Nick...seems good calm advice.

Bounder Tue 23-Sep-08 12:12:55

If you`re near a university/college put an ad in the Union or Guild. We have a geography student who is intelligent and sensible and able to cook a simple meal. School aged children really just need supervision rather than childcare as such, so qualifications less important.
The downside is that they don`t stay long on the whole.

BradfordMum Tue 23-Sep-08 13:02:31

Would you feel happier if the candidate you're considering brought her child with her? Many nannies work for familes and bring their own kiddie with them.

Sally x

dianafoliveira Wed 24-Sep-08 12:16:44

Hi!

I'm a 26 years old portuguese girl with a degree (5 years course) in Pedagogy. I absolutly love children and I know how to explore their skills! I'm very outgoing, friendly and organized! During university I've studied special needs like autism
I'm going to live in London in 2nd December. If you need me or if you know someone who needs please let me know. My mother is a children doctor in Portugal and I've worked with children in Portugal too so I can give you some people who can recomend me.
I'm avaiable for a personal interview because I think that's the best way for us to know each other.
But I think we can find other ways, I would love to help your family!
You can contact me to dianafoliveira@gmail.com

With my best regards,

--
Diana Oliveira

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now