Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How the hell do you keep your car clean

(14 Posts)
navyeyelasH Sun 21-Sep-08 21:56:29

I am forever picking up rubbish from my car, be it bottles fo water, bits of shredded paper, raisins/fruit flakes (children seem to excrete these somehow!).

I look after children from 6 months - 13 yrs old and of course the older ones get told to pick up after themselves but it still feels as though i am having to hoover the inside of my car once a week & that's too often given how precious little time I have off at the mo.

Any tips other than no eating/drinking in car (which is a bit mean as I don't have a top of the range BMW I am just a lazy toe rag!)

ByTheSea Sun 21-Sep-08 22:05:11

I don't. My car is an embarrassing tip. blush

MaureenMLove Sun 21-Sep-08 22:06:32

Well, I minded for 12 years and I never found a solution to the glitter, sparkly sprinkles and pasta pieces that were constantly left in the foot wells of my car! grin The little darlings always wanted to hold their pictures in car of the way home from playgroups and then pick off all the bits on the way!

Nowt wrong with a drinking and eating ban imho. Surely, you are never more than 10-20mins away from home? Also make an effort to put all things painted and stuck in the boot. That way, at least you'll only have to hoover the boot and who looks in there anyway! grin

ByTheSea Sun 21-Sep-08 22:08:17

Oops. Didn't see that this was in Childminders, etc. I'm only a regular mum who carpools to a lot of activities and so am always driving children around.

gooseegg Sun 21-Sep-08 22:14:44

My Galaxy is a cross between a beach, the woods, a dogs grooming parlour, and an ice cream factory.

It has fun and character.

DH won't go anywhere near it.

But I know his Mondeo is jealous.

imananny Sun 21-Sep-08 22:18:40

there was a thread about cars in chat

my own car is a tip, and its only me in it blush

works car , i keep clean and tidy,wont let kids eat in it etc,but 3 kids and a dog soon make mess

have a nice man who washes and hoovers work car every month or 2

nannyL Sun 21-Sep-08 23:00:38

I dont...

my car hasnt been hoovered out at all for nearly 3 years shock and carries babies / chidlren and raisens and stuff pretty much daily

it is lucky if it gets washed on the outside twice a year... (last washed easter 2008, previosue July 2007)

my 3 year old says to me every day that my car is very dirty.... he is right, but my theory is if i clean it its filthy again in 48 hours max so whats the point?

Sometimes my car is so full of rubbish improtant stuff there isnt physicaly enough room for an adult in the front seat (and the back is full with child seats hmm)

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 21-Sep-08 23:10:47

Don't let them eat or drink in the car and clear out the crap after each journey to keep on top of it.

nbee84 Wed 24-Sep-08 22:04:54

As a nanny I use my employers time to clean out my car - after all it is their children making the mess.

Youngest charge is now at preschool so I can do it childfree. But before preschool days I would do it while the children played on their bikes on the driveway.

nbee84 Wed 24-Sep-08 22:15:36

But should add that when I have children with me cleaning the car is limited to bagging the rubbish and removing books (am sure my car is a mobile library!!!)

Simplyme Thu 25-Sep-08 14:37:20

I always have a clean car work and personal! I'm quite pedantic about it. I don't allow the children to eat except on rare occasions of late journeys home etc I also take the car to the car wash in and out every 2 months they do a great job for only £10. To me it is disgusting to have a really filthy car inside and very unhygienic! Sure children make a mess but it can and should be cleared up! I would be so embarrassed if someone got in my car that hadn't been cleaned in months or years

imananny Thu 25-Sep-08 15:39:09

simply me's car is pristine YET she still thought it was messy grin

shame you didn't come in mine - you would have run for the hills!!!!

Simplyme Fri 26-Sep-08 08:51:35

you would be inpressed with my work car then as it has recently been cleaned so nicer than mine lol

coolj Fri 26-Sep-08 09:00:31

The only way to keep your car clean, is:

dont allow children in it
dont allow pets in it
dont allow partners it it (defo the worse)
dont drive in it
and garage it all year round

Hey presto, nice clean car.

Also get a comfy pair of shoes to walk everywhere. (Hee hee)

[runs out of thread very very quickly] grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now