Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What can I do about our AP who doesn't eat?!

(4 Posts)
Bettyboobird Sat 20-Sep-08 10:22:32

Hi all,

Our AP arrived on Tuesday, so we are still settling in. Everything is fine at the moment, but she doesn't eat!

Dh, dc and I are all big foodies and we make homecooked food every day. I am proud of the fact that my dc will eat anything that is put in front of them at home, in a restaurant or at friends' houses. Our AP on the other hand is SO picky.

We have had several conversations about what she likes and the end result was a list of 10 foods-literally! All of them are flavourless, dull and things which we don't often cook-although I am willing to put them on the table on occassions for her benefit. She has 'eaten' with us every night, and each night she pushes the food around her plate before leaving it. She seems to fill up on bread. I know she wants to eat (ie no obvious EDs) because when I took her shopping yesterday she devoured a baguette, and she's requested that we buy her pot noodles and wotsits!

But what should we do about dinner time? Carry on offering her the same, or let her sit at the table with us with a pot noodle? I don't want her pickiness rubbing off on the dc...

I can't ask her to cook, because she doesn't know how-she told me that when she walked in the first night! She also doesn't clean and doesn't know how to use the washing machine, so we have lots of lessons to teach her over the next few weeks!

Any advice greatly received.

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Sat 20-Sep-08 10:24:21

I'd tell her she is welcome to eat what she wants, but away from the table, as you don't want your child picking up on her fussiness. Goodness how old is she... 12?? wink

Weegle Sat 20-Sep-08 14:31:19

Crikey. I have a few interview quesitons about this as we like food and all sitting down to the same meal is an important part of our day...

I think I would say to her that because of the example to the children she can't eat something different at the table with you. She's welcome to sit at the table and partake if she wants. If she's going to eat "junk" I would want it eaten away from the main meal of the day. Also depending on the age and personalities of the kids I would even consider asking her not to eat some things in front of them but maybe that's too controlling?! I also wouldn't be prepared to spend a fortune on pot noodles and wotsits and would limit the amount I was prepared to buy each week as if that's all she's eating that will add a LOT to your weekly shopping bill that just scaling up meals by an extra one wouldn't.

Good luck! smile

Quattrocento Sat 20-Sep-08 14:36:50

Crikey my main interview questions are about food, ability to look after oneself (don't need another child to look after) and physical/mental health.

You're going to have your work cut out now ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now